Poll: Soccer Cup Matches with Viewers' Votes

• Thread starter bagasme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
In summary, the current voting system in talent competition (such as GotTalent) is a popular TV show popularity contest that is all about getting the viewers emotionally engaged and to get them to shed some money, then more money, then even more money.

Should knock-out soccer championships (e.g. cups) use viewers' vote?

• Yes, I want viewers to vote for determining match winner

• No, stick to penalty shootout instead

Results are only viewable after voting.
bagasme
Hello all,

In talent competition (such as GotTalent), acts that would be advanced to next rounds (and eventually winners), are determined entirely by viewers' votes (either via telephone, SMS, or affiliated applications.

I wish the similar mechanism can be used into soccer matches (especially on knock-out cup matches). This replace penalty shootout with viewers' votes. Team with most vote percentages than its rivals can be advanced into next round.

Should we adopt this system? Poll and discuss.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't replace whole match with voting?

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, BillTre, Klystron and 1 other person
bagasme said:
In talent competition (such as GotTalent), acts that would be advanced to next rounds (and eventually winners), are determined entirely by viewers' votes (either via telephone, SMS, or affiliated applications.
Why do these show have such a system?

bagasme said:
I wish the similar mechanism can be used into soccer matches (especially on knock-out cup matches). This replace penalty shootout with viewers' votes. Team with most vote percentages than its rivals can be advanced into next round.
What is different between a talent show and an international soccer match? Think in terms of vested interest, possibility for cheating, and the role of gambling and organized crime.

bagasme said:
Should we adopt this system? Poll and discuss.
You haven't really thought much about this, have you?

Likes Vanadium 50 and BillTre
DrClaude said:
Why do these show have such a system?What is different between a talent show and an international soccer match? Think in terms of vested interest, possibility for cheating, and the role of gambling and organized crime.You haven't really thought much about this, have you?

I hope FIFA can consider this thread for their next experiments

bagasme said:
I hope FIFA can consider this thread for their next experiments
DrClaude said:
You haven't really thought much about this, have you?
And you haven't really played competitive sports at a high level, have you?

DrClaude said:
Why do these show have such a system?
It's a TV show popularity contest to get the highest TV viewership ratings and revenue for the show's producers.

I remember looking through the drawn matches at the knock-out stages of the Soccer World Cup and noticing that very few were decided during the extra half-hour. I don't have the figures, but I think it was about one in three. There's a case, IMO, to go straight to a penalty shoot-out after 90 minutes.

At the last world cup, for example, there were five drawn matches in the knock-out stages. Only one was decided in extra time and four went to penalties. The extra time is, IMO, largely a waste of time.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
It's a TV show popularity contest to get the highest TV viewership ratings and revenue for the show's producers.
In PF fashion, I was asking the question to get the OP to think about it. For a talent show, it is all about getting the viewers emotionally engaged and to get them to shed some money, then more money, then even more money :smile:

Likes berkeman

What is the purpose of the "Poll: Soccer Cup Matches with Viewers' Votes" study?

The purpose of this study is to gather data on viewers' preferences and opinions on soccer cup matches. This information can be used to better understand viewers' behaviors and preferences, and potentially improve the overall viewing experience.

How was the data collected for this poll?

The data for this poll was collected through online surveys or questionnaires, where viewers were asked to provide their opinions and preferences on soccer cup matches. This data may also include information from social media or other digital platforms.

What factors were considered in the poll questions?

The poll questions were designed to gather information on viewers' preferred teams, players, match locations, and overall satisfaction with the viewing experience. Other factors such as match duration, game rules, and viewers' demographics may also be considered.

What is the sample size for this study?

The sample size for this study refers to the number of participants who provided their responses to the poll questions. The larger the sample size, the more representative the data will be of the overall viewership. The actual sample size may vary depending on the specific poll and its research objectives.

How can the results of this poll be useful?

The results of this poll can provide valuable insights for broadcasters, event organizers, and other stakeholders in the soccer industry. They can use this information to make informed decisions on scheduling, team selection, and promoting future matches to better meet the needs and preferences of viewers.

Back