Poll: What utensil is proper to eat macaroni and cheese?

• Thread starter collinsmark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll
In summary: Rockefeller familyb. are familiar with the show "Chef"c. are familiar with the song "Strawberry Fields Forever"Then you would know that the song is about eating the strawberry Fields Forever through a straw.

What is the proper utensil for which to eat macaroni and cheese (colloquially called Mac & Cheese)?

• Fork

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Spoon

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Spork

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Hunting knife

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Fingers

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other (chopsticks, etc.)

• P2M ("Plate-to-mouth" -- cut out the middle man)

• Total voters
collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Just curious to what others feel. Last time I used a fork. But on every attempt I always wonder if I'm missing something.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty much the answer to any pasta dish is "fork and spoon" or "garlic bread"

Likes Vagn
Fork.
Unless you make it wrong, which I'm prone to do.
Then, the rest of the options are open to how badly you made it. :redface:

ps. Now, after ZZ's "food thread" post, and this, I've decided I'm famished, and do not have a box ready.
pps. Does anyone know how to make it from scratch? I've 3 cheeses, milk, and butter in the fridge, and pastas galore in the cupboards.
ppps. Does anyone know what the hell is in that powder, that makes it so yummy?
pppps. I've forgotten how to do a survey of my own, if you haven't noticed. :redface:

Likes edward and collinsmark
"Proper" as in "eigenstate of the utensil operator"?

Likes Borek and collinsmark
Ryan_m_b said:
Pretty much the answer to any pasta dish is "fork and spoon" or "garlic bread"
Good point. Perhaps I should have allowed multiple selections.

Okay, which primary utensil?

I just don't want to miss out on any of the tasty goodness.

OmCheeto said:
pps. Does anyone know how to make it from scratch?

When I was a wee lad, my father would simply cook up some pasta and throw in Velveeta. This, by the way, was years -- decades even [perhaps] -- before Kraft sold macaroni (shells) and Velveeta together as a single product.

OmCheeto said:
I've 3 cheeses, milk, and butter in the fridge, and pastas galore in the cupboards.

That should do nicely! :woot: My mother's Mac & Cheese was more along those lines. As for specifics though, I'll defer to others.

Last edited:
Clearly the spork. Preferably titanium.

collinsmark said:
When I was a wee lad, my father would simply cook up some pasta and throw in Velveeta. This, by the way, was years -- decades even [perhaps] -- before Kraft sold macaroni (shells) and Velveeta together as a single product.

That should do nicely! :woot: My mother's Mac & Cheese was more along those lines. As for specifics though, I'll defer to others.

Oh! You're from the Rockefeller family I see.
I have no recollection of either of my parents ever even making "mac-n-cheese".

Velveeta was the only cheese I knew, and we used it like Parmesan, sparingly, on top of our spaghetti*. ----------------
*Made of boiled straw and pigs blood, for color. Mom scrubbed the floors at the local butcher shop, and got pigs blood for next to nothin'.

OmCheeto said:
Velveeta was the only cheese I knew, and we used it like Parmesan, sparingly, on top of our spaghetti*.

Now that you mention it, my father did treat his brick of Velveeta like gold. Or rather like a prized possession that we children were discouraged from handling because of our naivety.

If we ever did approach the Velveeta directly it must be done so sparingly and then only with the utmost reverence and veneration. He was pretty serious about his Velveeta.

Likes OmCheeto
George Jones said:
"Proper" as in "eigenstate of the utensil operator"?
Proper:
1. adapted or appropriate to the purpose or circumstances; fit; suitable:
the proper time to plant strawberries.
2. conforming to established standards of behavior or manners

Based on definition 1: spoon.
Based on definition 2: fork.

Likes lisab
Fried mac-n-cheese sandwich. It's the only way to go.

Likes lisab
The only mac n cheese I can eat is the Kraft box with the cheese powder, anything else is too thick and makes me vomit.

OmCheeto said:
pps. Does anyone know how to make it from scratch? I've 3 cheeses, milk, and butter in the fridge, and pastas galore in the cupboards.

A little late but maybe next time you can use this.

Make a roux (butter+flour), this is prone to burning so whisk constantly.
Add milk part by part. keep whisking.

You can manage the thickness by adding more or less milk (if you don't like milk, chicken stock works equally well perhaps even better).
When it's quite runny, add cheese and let it melt. This will thicken the sauce which is why I suggest making the sauce runny (bechamel sauce).
Season with pepper, salt and perhaps some nutmeg.

Likes lisab and OmCheeto
JorisL said:

You can manage the thickness by adding more or less milk (if you don't like milk, chicken stock works equally well perhaps even better).
When it's quite runny, add cheese and let it melt. This will thicken the sauce which is why I suggest making the sauce runny (bechamel sauce).

Thank you!
I did manage to get to the store and make myself a box & homemade combo version.
Eaten with a fork, btw.

ps. Someone should add: Through a straw
Video Of Disorderly UConn Student Demanding Mac And Cheese Goes Viral; Student Arrested [Hartford Courant]
as, had I been present, the punk[1][2] would be eating everything through a straw, for the rest of his life.

If you are interested in watching the video, I would recommend watching the 1st 30 seconds, and then fast forwarding to 6:15, as the middle part is all the same.

[1] I may have watched one too many Dirty Harry movies
[2] Reason #72, why I chose never to have kids. I was once one, and know how they can be. Had my mom and I swapped roles, I would be in prison, for murder. I was bad. mmm.. kay. But never that :bugeye: UConn Student bad. My mom knew how to wield a cooking spoon, like a ninja. :angel:

Likes Silicon Waffle
OmCheeto said:
... would be eating everything through a straw, for the rest of his life.
I truly love it.

Last edited:
Likes collinsmark and OmCheeto
nsaspook said:
What happened to just asking nicely?

That looks like Tina Fey. Hmmmm...
I would comment further, but I would be veering very off topic.

ps. Currently eating leftover mac-n-cheese, with an added can of tuna fish, on toast, lightly spiced with Sriracha sauce.
pps. With a fork!

OmCheeto said:
That looks like Tina Fey. Hmmmm...
I would comment further, but I would be veering very off topic.

ps. Currently eating leftover mac-n-cheese, with an added can of tuna fish, on toast, lightly spiced with Sriracha sauce.
pps. With a fork!
With a fork, yes and Mac-n-cheese never seems to have a cake dessert with my organic TV dinners.

Definitely spoon for me. I like the juices (from cheese and sauces), very yummy, and so won't waste any drops in the big dish.

Likes lisab
I would rather throw my Mac n' Cheese on the floor than eat it with a spoon!

Ok not really, but I've always hated eating it with a spoon. A fork is so much better, for some reason.

Silicon Waffle said:
Definitely spoon for me. I like the juices (from cheese and sauces), very yummy, and so won't waste any drops in the big dish.

Spoon for me too! Plus, spoons are much easier to clean than forks - especially for thick sticky sauces like a good cheese sauce.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Now the followup question: What is the preferred condiment (for those who do not feel that a condiment on their M&C is blasphemous)?
Obviously ketchup.

But you know what's really good on M&C? Horseradish-based seafood sauce. Try it!

Black pepper is always good on Mac & Cheese. 'Can't go wrong there.

Occasionally I'll squirt in a splash of Sriracha or Tabasco, but that depends on my mood.

Likes Silicon Waffle
collinsmark said:
Black pepper is always good on Mac & Cheese. 'Can't go wrong there.
It's funny you mention that one. For me, black pepper stands out as the one thing that doesn't go with M&C. M&C is too ... creamy.

And I looooooove black pepper. Many foods (such as avocados and potatoes) are just vehicles for transporting black pepper to my mouth. I bring seasoned waiters with pepper grinders to their knees.

http://www.armyproperty.com/nsn/8950-00-682-8188

Evo said:
The only mac n cheese I can eat is the Kraft box with the cheese powder, anything else is too thick and makes me vomit.
One could add margarine and/or milk to the Mac & Cheese if it becomes too thick.

One can also sprinkle Parmesan or other cheese (grated, e.g., Provalone, Gouda, Havarti, Manchego, Sirene, . . . .) according to preference on top.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Spoon, I need to shovel it into my mouth quickly
Ditto

Likes Silicon Waffle
I see one vote for other. Chopsticks?

JorisL said:

Ok, I tried that. Quite a lot of work for something that's not much better than what takes 3 minutes out of a box.
But, I only ate half.
The other half, I mixed my other go-to ingredient: a can of chili

10 stars!

I may simply not have let the mac-n-cheese "rest" for the appropriate amount of time, for my first plate.

ps. And as always, I complicated the recipe with all manner of freakish overkill: 3 types of flour, 3 types of cheese, greek yogurt, chili and garlic powder, and no nutmeg.
pps. Still ate both helpings with a fork, even though helping #2 was more like soup.
ppps. Evo and I are definitely related, as both the hybrid batch on Wednesday, and today's batch, gave me an upset stomach. I haven't barfed though. Perhaps 3rd cousins.

Some news just in:

UConn mac and cheese incident spawns fundraisers

http://news.yahoo.com/uconn-mac-cheese-incident-spawns-fundraisers-182300689.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes OmCheeto
More Mac-n-Cheese news:

Kraft Mac & Cheese just got duller.
For many Americans, the color of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese is the color of childhood. Nothing triggers nostalgia like the sight of a steaming plate of sticky pasta, as unnaturally orange as a nuclear dawn.

Almost 80 years after its invention, however, Kraft Mac & Cheese is about to change. Under pressure from “healthier” competitors and a controversial food blogger, the company says it is stripping all artificial preservatives and synthetic colors from its most iconic item.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-duller-you-can-thank-or-blame-the-food-babe/

[Edit: Actually I just realized that this article is dated back in April. I suppose it's not recent news after all.]

1. What is the most common utensil used to eat macaroni and cheese?

The most common utensil used to eat macaroni and cheese is a fork. It is ideal for picking up the small pieces of macaroni and twirling them in the cheesy sauce.

2. Is it acceptable to use a spoon to eat macaroni and cheese?

Yes, it is acceptable to use a spoon to eat macaroni and cheese. Some people prefer to use a spoon to scoop up the cheesy sauce and macaroni together, while others use it to eat the macaroni first and then the sauce.

3. Can I use a knife to eat macaroni and cheese?

Technically, you can use a knife to eat macaroni and cheese, but it is not the most practical utensil. Knives are better suited for cutting and spreading, so it may not be the most efficient way to eat macaroni and cheese.

4. What about using chopsticks to eat macaroni and cheese?

While it is not the most common utensil used, you can certainly use chopsticks to eat macaroni and cheese. It may take some practice to pick up the small pieces of macaroni, but it can be a fun and unique way to enjoy this dish.

5. Is there a proper way to eat macaroni and cheese with a fork?

There is no right or wrong way to eat macaroni and cheese with a fork. Some people prefer to twirl the macaroni on the fork, while others use the prongs to stab and pick up the pieces. As long as you are able to get the macaroni and cheese into your mouth, it is considered proper.