Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Poll: What utensil is proper to eat macaroni and cheese?

1. Fork

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
  2. Spoon

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Spork

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  4. Hunting knife

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Fingers

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. Other (chopsticks, etc.)

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  7. P2M ("Plate-to-mouth" -- cut out the middle man)

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Oct 6, 2015 #1

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just curious to what others feel. Last time I used a fork. But on every attempt I always wonder if I'm missing something.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2015 #2

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Pretty much the answer to any pasta dish is "fork and spoon" or "garlic bread"

4. Oct 6, 2015 #3

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Fork.
    Unless you make it wrong, which I'm prone to do.
    Then, the rest of the options are open to how badly you made it. :redface:

ps. Now, after ZZ's "food thread" post, and this, I've decided I'm famished, and do not have a box ready.
    pps. Does anyone know how to make it from scratch? I've 3 cheeses, milk, and butter in the fridge, and pastas galore in the cupboards.
    ppps. Does anyone know what the hell is in that powder, that makes it so yummy?
    pppps. I've forgotten how to do a survey of my own, if you haven't noticed. :redface:

5. Oct 6, 2015 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Proper" as in "eigenstate of the utensil operator"?

6. Oct 6, 2015 #5

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good point. Perhaps I should have allowed multiple selections.

Okay, which primary utensil?

I just don't want to miss out on any of the tasty goodness.

When I was a wee lad, my father would simply cook up some pasta and throw in Velveeta. This, by the way, was years -- decades even [perhaps] -- before Kraft sold macaroni (shells) and Velveeta together as a single product.

That should do nicely! :woot: My mother's Mac & Cheese was more along those lines. As for specifics though, I'll defer to others.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  7. Oct 6, 2015 #6

cjl

Clearly the spork. Preferably titanium.

8. Oct 6, 2015 #7

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Oh! You're from the Rockefeller family I see.
    I have no recollection of either of my parents ever even making "mac-n-cheese".

Velveeta was the only cheese I knew, and we used it like Parmesan, sparingly, on top of our spaghetti*.

----------------
    *Made of boiled straw and pigs blood, for color. Mom scrubbed the floors at the local butcher shop, and got pigs blood for next to nothin'.

9. Oct 6, 2015 #8

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Now that you mention it, my father did treat his brick of Velveeta like gold. Or rather like a prized possession that we children were discouraged from handling because of our naivety.

If we ever did approach the Velveeta directly it must be done so sparingly and then only with the utmost reverence and veneration. He was pretty serious about his Velveeta.

10. Oct 6, 2015 #9

russ_watters

Proper:
    1. adapted or appropriate to the purpose or circumstances; fit; suitable:
    the proper time to plant strawberries.
    2. conforming to established standards of behavior or manners

Based on definition 1: spoon.
    Based on definition 2: fork.

11. Oct 6, 2015 #10

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Fried mac-n-cheese sandwich. It's the only way to go.

12. Oct 6, 2015 #11
    Spoon, I need to shovel it into my mouth quickly

13. Oct 6, 2015 #12

Evo

The only mac n cheese I can eat is the Kraft box with the cheese powder, anything else is too thick and makes me vomit.

14. Oct 7, 2015 #13
    A little late but maybe next time you can use this.

Make a roux (butter+flour), this is prone to burning so whisk constantly.
    Add milk part by part. keep whisking.

You can manage the thickness by adding more or less milk (if you don't like milk, chicken stock works equally well perhaps even better).
    When it's quite runny, add cheese and let it melt. This will thicken the sauce which is why I suggest making the sauce runny (bechamel sauce).
    Season with pepper, salt and perhaps some nutmeg.

15. Oct 7, 2015 #14

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thank you!
    I did manage to get to the store and make myself a box & homemade combo version.
    Eaten with a fork, btw.

ps. Someone should add: Through a straw
    Video Of Disorderly UConn Student Demanding Mac And Cheese Goes Viral; Student Arrested [Hartford Courant]
    as, had I been present, the punk[1][2] would be eating everything through a straw, for the rest of his life.

If you are interested in watching the video, I would recommend watching the 1st 30 seconds, and then fast forwarding to 6:15, as the middle part is all the same.

[1] I may have watched one too many Dirty Harry movies
    [2] Reason #72, why I chose never to have kids. I was once one, and know how they can be. Had my mom and I swapped roles, I would be in prison, for murder. I was bad. mmm.. kay. But never that :bugeye: UConn Student bad. My mom knew how to wield a cooking spoon, like a ninja. :angel:

16. Oct 7, 2015 #15
    I truly love it.

17. Oct 7, 2015 #16

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  18. Oct 7, 2015 #17

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

That looks like Tina Fey. Hmmmm....
    I would comment further, but I would be veering very off topic.

ps. Currently eating leftover mac-n-cheese, with an added can of tuna fish, on toast, lightly spiced with Sriracha sauce.
    pps. With a fork!

19. Oct 7, 2015 #18

nsaspook

Science Advisor

With a fork, yes and Mac-n-cheese never seems to have a cake dessert with my organic TV dinners.

20. Oct 7, 2015 #19
    Definitely spoon for me. I like the juices (from cheese and sauces), very yummy, and so won't waste any drops in the big dish.

21. Oct 9, 2015 #20
    I would rather throw my Mac n' Cheese on the floor than eat it with a spoon!!!

Ok not really, but I've always hated eating it with a spoon. A fork is so much better, for some reason.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook