Poll: What utensil is proper to eat macaroni and cheese?

What is the proper utensil for which to eat macaroni and cheese (colloquially called Mac & Cheese)?

• Fork

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Spoon

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Spork

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Hunting knife

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Fingers

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Other (chopsticks, etc.)

• P2M ("Plate-to-mouth" -- cut out the middle man)

• Total voters
collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Just curious to what others feel. Last time I used a fork. But on every attempt I always wonder if I'm missing something.

Answers and Replies

Ryan_m_b
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Pretty much the answer to any pasta dish is "fork and spoon" or "garlic bread"

Likes Vagn
OmCheeto
Gold Member
Fork.
Unless you make it wrong, which I'm prone to do.
Then, the rest of the options are open to how badly you made it. :redface:

ps. Now, after ZZ's "food thread" post, and this, I've decided I'm famished, and do not have a box ready.
pps. Does anyone know how to make it from scratch? I've 3 cheeses, milk, and butter in the fridge, and pastas galore in the cupboards.
ppps. Does anyone know what the hell is in that powder, that makes it so yummy?
pppps. I've forgotten how to do a survey of my own, if you haven't noticed. :redface:

Likes edward and collinsmark
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"Proper" as in "eigenstate of the utensil operator"?

Likes Borek and collinsmark
collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Pretty much the answer to any pasta dish is "fork and spoon" or "garlic bread"
Good point. Perhaps I should have allowed multiple selections.

Okay, which primary utensil?

I just don't want to miss out on any of the tasty goodness.

pps. Does anyone know how to make it from scratch?
When I was a wee lad, my father would simply cook up some pasta and throw in Velveeta. This, by the way, was years -- decades even [perhaps] -- before Kraft sold macaroni (shells) and Velveeta together as a single product.

I've 3 cheeses, milk, and butter in the fridge, and pastas galore in the cupboards.
That should do nicely! :woot: My mother's Mac & Cheese was more along those lines. As for specifics though, I'll defer to others.

Last edited:
cjl
Science Advisor
Clearly the spork. Preferably titanium.

OmCheeto
Gold Member
When I was a wee lad, my father would simply cook up some pasta and throw in Velveeta. This, by the way, was years -- decades even [perhaps] -- before Kraft sold macaroni (shells) and Velveeta together as a single product.

That should do nicely! :woot: My mother's Mac & Cheese was more along those lines. As for specifics though, I'll defer to others.
Oh! You're from the Rockefeller family I see.
I have no recollection of either of my parents ever even making "mac-n-cheese".

Velveeta was the only cheese I knew, and we used it like Parmesan, sparingly, on top of our spaghetti*.

----------------
*Made of boiled straw and pigs blood, for color. Mom scrubbed the floors at the local butcher shop, and got pigs blood for next to nothin'.

collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Velveeta was the only cheese I knew, and we used it like Parmesan, sparingly, on top of our spaghetti*.
Now that you mention it, my father did treat his brick of Velveeta like gold. Or rather like a prized possession that we children were discouraged from handling because of our naivety.

If we ever did approach the Velveeta directly it must be done so sparingly and then only with the utmost reverence and veneration. He was pretty serious about his Velveeta.

Likes OmCheeto
russ_watters
Mentor
"Proper" as in "eigenstate of the utensil operator"?
Proper:
1. adapted or appropriate to the purpose or circumstances; fit; suitable:
the proper time to plant strawberries.
2. conforming to established standards of behavior or manners

Based on definition 1: spoon.
Based on definition 2: fork.

Likes lisab
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Fried mac-n-cheese sandwich. It's the only way to go.

Likes lisab
Evo
Mentor
The only mac n cheese I can eat is the Kraft box with the cheese powder, anything else is too thick and makes me vomit.

pps. Does anyone know how to make it from scratch? I've 3 cheeses, milk, and butter in the fridge, and pastas galore in the cupboards.
A little late but maybe next time you can use this.

Make a roux (butter+flour), this is prone to burning so whisk constantly.
Add milk part by part. keep whisking.

You can manage the thickness by adding more or less milk (if you don't like milk, chicken stock works equally well perhaps even better).
When it's quite runny, add cheese and let it melt. This will thicken the sauce which is why I suggest making the sauce runny (bechamel sauce).
Season with pepper, salt and perhaps some nutmeg.

Likes lisab and OmCheeto
OmCheeto
Gold Member
A little late but maybe next time you can use this.

Make a roux (butter+flour), this is prone to burning so whisk constantly.
Add milk part by part. keep whisking.

You can manage the thickness by adding more or less milk (if you don't like milk, chicken stock works equally well perhaps even better).
When it's quite runny, add cheese and let it melt. This will thicken the sauce which is why I suggest making the sauce runny (bechamel sauce).
Season with pepper, salt and perhaps some nutmeg.
Thank you!
I did manage to get to the store and make myself a box & homemade combo version.
Eaten with a fork, btw.

ps. Someone should add: Through a straw
Video Of Disorderly UConn Student Demanding Mac And Cheese Goes Viral; Student Arrested [Hartford Courant]
as, had I been present, the punk[1][2] would be eating everything through a straw, for the rest of his life.

If you are interested in watching the video, I would recommend watching the 1st 30 seconds, and then fast forwarding to 6:15, as the middle part is all the same.

[1] I may have watched one too many Dirty Harry movies
[2] Reason #72, why I chose never to have kids. I was once one, and know how they can be. Had my mom and I swapped roles, I would be in prison, for murder. I was bad. mmm.. kay. But never that :bugeye: UConn Student bad. My mom knew how to wield a cooking spoon, like a ninja. :angel:

Likes Silicon Waffle
... would be eating everything through a straw, for the rest of his life.
I truly love it.

nsaspook
Science Advisor
Last edited:
Likes collinsmark and OmCheeto
OmCheeto
Gold Member
What happened to just asking nicely?
That looks like Tina Fey. Hmmmm....
I would comment further, but I would be veering very off topic.

ps. Currently eating leftover mac-n-cheese, with an added can of tuna fish, on toast, lightly spiced with Sriracha sauce.
pps. With a fork!

nsaspook
Science Advisor
That looks like Tina Fey. Hmmmm....
I would comment further, but I would be veering very off topic.

ps. Currently eating leftover mac-n-cheese, with an added can of tuna fish, on toast, lightly spiced with Sriracha sauce.
pps. With a fork!
With a fork, yes and Mac-n-cheese never seems to have a cake dessert with my organic TV dinners.

Definitely spoon for me. I like the juices (from cheese and sauces), very yummy, and so won't waste any drops in the big dish.

Likes lisab
I would rather throw my Mac n' Cheese on the floor than eat it with a spoon!!!

Ok not really, but I've always hated eating it with a spoon. A fork is so much better, for some reason.

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Definitely spoon for me. I like the juices (from cheese and sauces), very yummy, and so won't waste any drops in the big dish.
Spoon for me too! Plus, spoons are much easier to clean than forks - especially for thick sticky sauces like a good cheese sauce.

Likes Silicon Waffle
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Now the followup question: What is the preferred condiment (for those who do not feel that a condiment on their M&C is blasphemous)?
Obviously ketchup.

But you know what's really good on M&C? Horseradish-based seafood sauce. Try it!

collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Black pepper is always good on Mac & Cheese. 'Can't go wrong there.

Occasionally I'll squirt in a splash of Sriracha or Tabasco, but that depends on my mood.

Likes Silicon Waffle
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Black pepper is always good on Mac & Cheese. 'Can't go wrong there.
It's funny you mention that one. For me, black pepper stands out as the one thing that doesn't go with M&C. M&C is too ... creamy.

And I looooooove black pepper. Many foods (such as avocados and potatoes) are just vehicles for transporting black pepper to my mouth. I bring seasoned waiters with pepper grinders to their knees.