Polymyxin B & LPS: Mechanism of Action?

• Thread starter rockind78
  • Start date
In summary, the exact mechanism by which polymyxin arrives at the outer cell membrane after binding to LPS is still unclear. However, various sources suggest that it first binds to the outer membrane, possibly through LPS, and then disrupts the membrane barrier. This process is believed to be the result of the antibiotic's affinity for phospholipids. Other antibiotics, such as Protegrin, Gramicidin, Nystatin, and Polymyxin B, also kill microbial cells by disrupting the cell membrane. Further research is needed to fully understand the detailed mechanism of polymyxins on the membrane.
rockind78
Does anyone know the exact mechanism by which polymyxin arrives at the outer cell membrane after binding to LPS? The best source I have states that "it first binds to the outer membrane of E. coli or Salmonella typhimurium, presumably by binding to LPS, and then goes through the outer membrane by dsirupting this membrane barrier". That was published in 1987. Another source I have states that "Polymyxin B, similarly, disorganizes the OM" (outer membrane) "but this it does by binding to the LPS. The actual site of action is the cytoplasmic membrane to which it gets bound through its affinity for phospholipids". This was published in 1994, and no, that sentence isn't a typo (on my part anyway). My last source says "these antibiotics insert into bacterial membranes by interacting with lipopolysaccharides and the phospholipids in the outer membrane, producing increased cell permeability and eventual cell death." This was published in 2002. I can't find a conclusive mechanism here. Any thoughts on some literature that might help clarify this? Thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
It's what i found: Polymyxins "affect the cell membrane by detergent action" and I found this

Penetration and poration of the inner nuclear membrane will result in cell death by membrane disruption, possible chromatin destruction, and the usurping of Gibbs-Donnon equilibrium. Many antibiotics such as Protegrin, Gramicidin, Nystatin, and Polymyxin B kill microbial cells by this mechanism.

From there http://www.tadpromotion.com/defmech.htm

From what i read polymyxins appears to disrupt the ctoplasmic membrane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Ian. Your input is always very much appreciated.:smile: I have just been looking for the detailed mechanism of the antibiotic on the membrane itself and can't find exactly what I am looking for.

1. What is Polymyxin B & LPS and how does it work?

Polymyxin B & LPS (lipopolysaccharide) are two substances that are commonly used in combination as an antibiotic treatment. Polymyxin B is an antibiotic that works by binding to and disrupting the outer membrane of bacteria, while LPS is a component of the outer membrane that helps to maintain the structural integrity of the bacteria. The combination of these two substances helps to effectively kill bacteria by breaking down their outer membrane and causing them to burst.

2. What types of bacteria does Polymyxin B & LPS target?

Polymyxin B & LPS are primarily used to target Gram-negative bacteria, which are a type of bacteria that have a thin cell wall and an outer membrane. This includes bacteria such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. These bacteria are known to be resistant to many other types of antibiotics, making Polymyxin B & LPS an effective treatment option.

3. Can Polymyxin B & LPS be used to treat infections caused by Gram-positive bacteria?

No, Polymyxin B & LPS are not effective against Gram-positive bacteria. This is because Gram-positive bacteria have a thick cell wall that prevents Polymyxin B from reaching and disrupting their outer membrane. Therefore, Polymyxin B & LPS are only effective against Gram-negative bacteria.

4. How is Polymyxin B & LPS administered?

Polymyxin B & LPS are most commonly administered intravenously (IV), meaning they are injected directly into the bloodstream. They can also be administered topically, such as in eye drops or creams, for localized infections.

5. What are the potential side effects of using Polymyxin B & LPS?

Common side effects of Polymyxin B & LPS include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and allergic reactions. They can also cause damage to the kidneys and nervous system in some cases. It is important to follow the prescribed dosage and duration of treatment to minimize the risk of these side effects.