1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Polynomial system of 6 variables

1. Jul 19, 2015 #1
    U = A a²
    V = 2 A a b
    W = A b²
    u = 2 A a c + B a
    v = 2 A b c + B b
    w = A c² + B c + C

I'd like to solve this system for A, B, C, a, b, c. Is it possible!?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2015 #2

Suraj M

Gold Member

If you want those terms, in terms of all the other terms, then i dont think you can, if in terms of U,V,W,u,v,w included then ofcourse, it would be simple,
    the basic problem is you have only one equation with U in it, or were you trying to say ##U##instead of ##u##?

4. Jul 19, 2015 #3

DDH

Unless i'm mistaken, there are 12 variables and not 6 which means the system cannot be solved.

5. Jul 19, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The system cannot be solved uniquely, which is different from saying that it can't be solved.

6. Jul 19, 2015 #5

DDH

I stand corrected.

7. Jul 19, 2015 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Assuming U,V,W,u,v,w are known, it might be possible. As a first step, the last three equations in A,B,C are linear, so you can get A,B,C, in terms of u,v,w,a,b,c. Substitute the expression for A into the first three equations. You now have polynomial expressions for a,b,c - good luck!

8. Jul 19, 2015 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook