Polyurethane Properties for Abaqus simulation

In summary, the conversation is about a PhD student seeking help with finding parameters for their research on polyurethane material and simulation in Abaqus software. Specifically, they are looking for information on the inelastic heat fraction, Johnson Cook parameter, plasticity, and film coefficient. It is suggested that the student test and derive the parameters themselves from samples of the specific polyurethane they are researching.
zubaidab
Dear Member, I am doing my research in plyurethane mateiral and planned to do simulation in Abaqus software for which i need some parameters. I browsed soo many sites and journal, unable to get. Please help me.
1. Inelastic Heat Fraction

2. Johnson Cook parameter

3. Plasticity

4. Film Coefficient.
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
As a PhD student, you should be able to search polyurethane, and find that polyurethane is a class of polymers. Polyurethane is available in hardness as low as 25 Shore OO, and as high as 75 Shore D. The parameters are a function of the specific polyurethane chemistry and hardness.

It appears that you will need to get some samples of the specific polyurethane, test them, and derive the necessary parameters yourself.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Bystander

1. What is polyurethane and why is it used in Abaqus simulation?

Polyurethane is a synthetic polymer that is commonly used in Abaqus simulation due to its unique properties, such as high strength, flexibility, and durability. It is often used in simulations to model materials in engineering applications, such as automotive parts and construction materials.

2. What are the mechanical properties of polyurethane that are important in Abaqus simulation?

The mechanical properties of polyurethane that are important in Abaqus simulation include its tensile strength, compressive strength, and Young's modulus. These properties determine how the material will behave under different loading conditions and are essential for accurately simulating its behavior in a virtual environment.

3. How does the density of polyurethane affect its behavior in Abaqus simulation?

The density of polyurethane is an important factor in Abaqus simulation as it affects the overall weight and stiffness of the material. A higher density will result in a stiffer material, while a lower density will result in a more flexible material. It is important to accurately input the density in the simulation to ensure accurate results.

4. What are the limitations of using polyurethane in Abaqus simulation?

One limitation of using polyurethane in Abaqus simulation is that it is a viscoelastic material, meaning its behavior is time-dependent and can exhibit both elastic and viscous properties. This can make it challenging to accurately model in simulations. Additionally, polyurethane can undergo significant changes in behavior under different environmental conditions, which can also be challenging to simulate.

5. How can the accuracy of polyurethane simulations in Abaqus be improved?

The accuracy of polyurethane simulations in Abaqus can be improved by using experimental data to validate the material properties used in the simulation. This can help to ensure that the simulation accurately reflects the behavior of the real material. Additionally, using advanced modeling techniques, such as incorporating non-linear behavior and accounting for environmental effects, can also improve the accuracy of the simulation results.