POP/IMAP forwarding in Thunderbird

• Thread starter 20Tauri
  • Start date
In summary: I've tried both port 25 and 465, and both times it says the message could not be sent.I'm not sure which port you're using, but I believe that port 25 is the default for IMAP and POP. You can try changing it to the other port if that's the problem. If you're using a personal account (rather than a work or school account), I'd recommend using port 25 rather than 465 because it's less likely to be blocked by a firewall.In summary, you are having trouble setting up automatic forwarding in Thunderbird. You are using port 25 for IMAP and port 465 for POP, but either one may be the problem.
20Tauri
Hi. I have a couple different email accounts and I'd like to aggregate them. I've done automatic forwarding before, but I'd like to set up POP or IMAP so that I can not only forward to my main account but also do the reply-on-behalf-of thing. I downloaded Thunderbird last night and am having a lot of trouble setting up the forwarding. First its automatic settings were preventing me from inputting the correct port even if I was doing manual setup. After jumping through several hoops to get it setup, it then refused to forward. I sent myself test emails and nothing happened. The account that I was trying to set up is already set to autoforward to another account (which I will disable, but I wanted to make sure the POP worked first before I went around changing things), but since it keeps a local copy I thought it should be fine...

Any suggestions? I'm lost, so any help you could offer would be much appreciated.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Unless I'm mistaken, you generally configure your mail account (whether it be with your work, school, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) to automatically forward your e-mail, rather than doing this from your mail client. If you just want all your e-mail to show up in one folder in Thunderbird (rather than in multiple Inboxes) I think that the universal inbox might be what you're looking for:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox

Thanks, I'll take a look at that. I know how to set up regular automatic forwarding, but I don't think that's what I'm looking for. I don't want to send them to another account, I want to administer my accounts through Thunderbird--partly because my current primary account is a temporary one that will eventually be closed out by the sys admin, and partly because I don't want to just read them all in one place, I want to be able to reply from the correct account (or reply on behalf of, whatever) without having to log into each individual mail client.

I think I see--sounds like unified folders might be what you're looking for (even though you maintain separate accounts, all the inboxes are displayed together, and if it doesn't automatically choose the correct SMTP server for reply e-mail, you should at least be able to select it from the drop-down menu).
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Global_Inbox#Unified_Folders

If you're having troubles just getting all the accounts entered, the following may be helpful (it also gives an example of the multiple outgoing SMTP drop-down):
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-set-up-mozilla-thunderbird-3-multiple-email/

Okay, thanks, those links look like they'll be helpful. I haven't actually gotten that far, though--I haven't tried adding multiple servers because I can't even get the first one to work.

1. What is POP/IMAP forwarding in Thunderbird?

POP/IMAP forwarding is a feature in the email client Thunderbird that allows users to forward their emails from one email account to another. This is useful for consolidating multiple email accounts into one inbox, or for accessing emails from a different email service.

2. How do I set up POP/IMAP forwarding in Thunderbird?

To set up POP/IMAP forwarding in Thunderbird, go to the Tools menu and select "Account Settings." Then, under the "Account Actions" drop-down menu, select "Add Mail Account." Enter the information for the email account you want to forward from, and then check the box for "POP/IMAP forwarding" and enter the information for the email account you want to forward to. Click "Done" to complete the setup.

3. Can I choose which emails to forward using POP/IMAP forwarding in Thunderbird?

Yes, you can choose which emails to forward using POP/IMAP forwarding in Thunderbird. When setting up the forwarding, you can select whether to forward all emails or only certain emails based on criteria such as sender, subject, or keywords.

4. Is POP/IMAP forwarding in Thunderbird secure?

Yes, POP/IMAP forwarding in Thunderbird is secure. It uses encryption to protect your emails during the forwarding process, so your information remains safe.

5. Can I disable POP/IMAP forwarding in Thunderbird after setting it up?

Yes, you can disable POP/IMAP forwarding in Thunderbird at any time. Simply go to the Tools menu, select "Account Settings," and then click on the email account that is set up for forwarding. Uncheck the box for "POP/IMAP forwarding" and click "Done." Your emails will no longer be forwarded.