Portions of Calculus to Review for Intro. to Prob & Stats

In summary, the professor recommends covering derivatives, chain rule, power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and integration of common functions excluding trig functions.
Of Mike and Men
Hey everyone,

I'm a CS major, and haven't been using calculus 1 or 2 for over a year and a half now. I vaguely remember any of it other than basic concepts (what derivatives and integrals are, second derivative, inflection points, etc.).

I am taking an Introduction to Probability and Statistics at Texas State this Summer and was wondering what I should review beforehand. It's only a 5-week course, so I won't have time to really pick up the necessary parts during the semester.

The syllabus can be found here: https://api.hb2504.txstate.edu/py/getsyllabus.py?class=173031792
And the book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1118947088/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I plan on just covering basic derivatives and integrals since I don't really remember how to take them, but was wondering if I should cover more than this based on the provided information.

The course requires Calculus 2 as a pre-requisite, but I'm not sure if this is more of a math maturity thing (since I've had several other math courses in my CS plan that don't uses calculus but have calculus listed as pre-reqs).

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to say from the available info. I've seen "calc-based" stats courses taught lots of different ways. Email the prof and ask him.

To the OP:

When I was in graduate school, I used to be a TA for a very similar course to what you will be taking, with similar prerequisites. The course I TA'd expected students to be able to be able to do multivariable calculus (i.e. integrate with multiple variables). An example would look something like this:

∫∫f(x,y)dxdy, where f(x,y) would be some (smooth) function with variables x, y.

I would suspect that the course you will be taking will be similar. Of course, as Dr. Courtney suggests, it would be best to e-mail the professor about the prerequisites and required background knowledge.

StatGuy2000 said:
To the OP:

When I was in graduate school, I used to be a TA for a very similar course to what you will be taking, with similar prerequisites. The course I TA'd expected students to be able to be able to do multivariable calculus (i.e. integrate with multiple variables). An example would look something like this:

∫∫f(x,y)dxdy, where f(x,y) would be some (smooth) function with variables x, y.

I would suspect that the course you will be taking will be similar. Of course, as Dr. Courtney suggests, it would be best to e-mail the professor about the prerequisites and required background knowledge.
Hi,

Thanks for your response. I contacted the professor and this is what he said:
-derivative of common functions excluding trig functions
- derivative rules: chain rule, power rule, product rule, quotient rule
-integration of common functions excluding trig functions
-definite integrals
-double integrals

I never covered double integrals. To what extent should I cover this topic in your experience? (I'll be in touch with the professor as well.)

Thanks.

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It involves the use of mathematical techniques to solve problems related to rates of change, optimization, and approximation.

Why is calculus important for probability and statistics?

Calculus is important for probability and statistics because it provides a foundation for understanding the concepts of limits, continuity, and derivatives, which are crucial in the study of probability and statistics. It also helps in the computation of probabilities and in developing statistical models.

What are the key concepts in calculus that are relevant to probability and statistics?

The key concepts in calculus that are relevant to probability and statistics include limits, derivatives, and integrals. Limit is used to define the probability of an event, derivatives are used to find the rate of change of a function, and integrals are used to find the area under a curve.

What are some common applications of calculus in probability and statistics?

Some common applications of calculus in probability and statistics include finding the probability of an event, determining the rate of change of a function, and calculating the area under a curve. It is also used in hypothesis testing, regression analysis, and optimization problems.

How can I review the portions of calculus relevant to probability and statistics?

You can review the portions of calculus relevant to probability and statistics by studying the concepts of limits, derivatives, and integrals. You can also practice solving problems related to these concepts and their applications in probability and statistics. Online resources, textbooks, and study groups can also be helpful in reviewing these concepts.