Possible argument in favor of many worlds interpretation

In summary, the author's train of thought leads to an argument in support of the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.
ianfort
Please forgive me if I am hideously wrong in any of my points. I am not terribly well-versed in quantum physics.

Alright. This all began when I was thinking of a somewhat speculative and arguably philosophical idea that probably wouldn't have much of a place on this forum. My train of thought, however, led me from there to a fairly coherent argument that appears, at least to me, to support the many worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics.

At first, I was thinking of the concept of the multiverse, and the possibility of other universes having different laws of physics. If that was the case, I wondered, would there perhaps be a higher set of rules that apply to all universes? And could it be, then, that these overarching laws are the laws of mathematics? That is to say, is everything that is mathematically possible also physically possible?

As I thought it over, I began to consider the inverse: Can all physical phenomena be described in purely mathematical terms? The answer seemed to be obviously yes, but as I thought about it, something began to bug me: randomness and probability.

The concept is simple: one cause having multiple possible effects, but I don't think there's any equation that will give you a different result given the exact same operations. Sure, you could write: "A + 7 = B where A has a 60% chance of being 3 and a 40% chance of being 5," but this relies on an external input to be random. A human solving it would either just choose which number, or use some other method such as rolling dice. A computer would rely on its own random algorithm, which would in turn rely on either the computer's clock and some irrational numbers, or minute physical motions in the air that it detects. There simply doesn't seem to be any equation or algorithm that's intrinsically random. If there was, then making random number generators would not require such roundabout methods.

But when we get an equation with variables, we can simply plot every possible value of each variable on a graph instead of choosing just one to plug in, allowing all possibilities to be true at once.

So this leaves us with 3 possibilities: that the universe is purely deterministic, that some physical phenomena cannot be described purely mathematically, or that all possible outcomes are realized at once. The first possibility can be ruled out, as it has been observed to be false, and I'm pretty sure the scientific community would reject the second idea (though I could be wrong). This leaves the third. The idea that multiple possibilities are true UNTIL they are observed doesn't seem to work, because in that case, when the wave function collapses, what it collapses into is yet again random, with only one outcome being true, which leaves us with the same problem.

If you see any flaws in my reasoning (which I'm pretty sure you will :blushing:) don't hesitate to comment.

Physics news on Phys.org
One flaw of your reasoning is that it has not yet been determined whether the universe is fundamentally deterministic or not. This means that neither of your three possiblities at the end can be excluded, and as such your line of reasoning does not in particular support the many worlds theory.

PS. also note that the many worlds interpretation is a deterministic theory in itself, so if your reasoning finds that many worlds is a different option than determinism, then there must be at least one error with your reasoning ;)

1. What is the many worlds interpretation?

The many worlds interpretation is a theory in quantum mechanics that suggests that there are infinite parallel universes, each containing a different version of reality. It proposes that all possible outcomes of quantum events actually occur in different parallel universes.

2. What is the main argument in favor of the many worlds interpretation?

The main argument in favor of the many worlds interpretation is that it provides a solution to the measurement problem in quantum mechanics. This problem refers to the uncertainty and randomness of particles' behavior when observed, and the many worlds interpretation suggests that these behaviors are simply different outcomes in different parallel universes.

3. How does the many worlds interpretation differ from other interpretations of quantum mechanics?

The many worlds interpretation differs from other interpretations, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, in that it suggests that all possible outcomes of quantum events actually occur in different parallel universes, rather than just one single outcome. It also eliminates the need for the collapse of the wavefunction, which is a key aspect of the Copenhagen interpretation.

4. Is the many worlds interpretation widely accepted by the scientific community?

The many worlds interpretation is a controversial and highly debated theory in quantum mechanics. While some scientists support it, others criticize it for being untestable and for lacking empirical evidence. Therefore, it is not widely accepted by the scientific community.

5. What are the implications of the many worlds interpretation?

The many worlds interpretation has far-reaching implications, including the idea that every possible outcome of a quantum event actually occurs in a different parallel universe. This also raises questions about free will and the existence of alternate versions of ourselves in these parallel universes. Additionally, if this interpretation is true, it could potentially have implications for time travel and the concept of causality.