Possible webpage title: Need Help with These Astronomy Questions?

• Thread starter SilverHammer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with some homework questions related to the star Pegasi. The star is of spectral class G2 V, has a planet orbiting it, and is about 50 light years away from Earth. The questions involve determining the planet's orbital diameter, the star's parallax and magnitude, and the sidereal time on a specific date and time. The person is seeking assistance and directs readers to a homework forum for further help.
SilverHammer
Can someone help me understand some homework questions? I'm stuck on these last 5 out of 30.

The star Pegasi (RA = 22h 57m, Dec.=+20.75) is of spectral class G2 V (temperature of around 5800 K). It's distance is 50 ly from us and has a planet (150 Earth masses) orbiting it with a semi-major axis of 0.052 AU. The star is about 1 solar mass, and its luminosity is about 1.3 times that of the sun and absolute magnitude of about 4.0

Okay, on to the questions I'm not understanding.

1) How do I determine the angular size of the planet's orbital diameter (Arc seconds)?
2) What is the wavelength and frequency of the peak in 51 Pegasi's black body curve and what radiation is it?
3) What's the star's parallax?
4) What's the star's apparent magnitude
5)What is the sidereal time on March 7 at 4:00 pm?

I'd appreciate it if someone had time to explain!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of asking for help with a few questions?

Asking for help with a few questions is a way to gain a better understanding of a specific topic or problem. It allows you to get a different perspective or learn new information that you may not have considered before.

2. How do I know if I need help with a few questions?

If you are struggling to find answers or solutions to your questions, it may be a good idea to ask for help. Additionally, if you feel like you are not making progress or are unsure about your understanding, seeking assistance can help clear up any confusion.

3. Who can I ask for help with a few questions?

You can ask anyone who has expertise or knowledge in the subject matter you are asking about. This could be a teacher, colleague, friend, or even an online community or forum.

4. What is the best way to ask for help with a few questions?

The best way to ask for help with a few questions is to be specific and clear about what you are asking. Provide context and background information, and try to be as concise as possible. It is also important to be respectful and grateful for any assistance you receive.

5. Is it okay to ask for help with a few questions multiple times?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for help with a few questions multiple times. Learning and understanding can take time, and it is not uncommon to need to revisit certain topics or concepts. However, it is important to make sure you are actively trying to learn and not just relying on others to provide answers.