Post Your Summer/Fall 2013 Class Schedules

• Thread starter Genericcoder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the person's fall 2013 class schedule includes taking Calculus I, General Physics I, Chemistry I, and Intro to Anthropology. They are also volunteering in a superconductivity lab and thinking about a part time job.
QuantumCurt said:
That reminds me of my College Algebra professor from a couple semesters ago. He liked long tedious computations. There were plenty of times I'd stop in his office hours, and he'd just be sitting around doing math. I was a little bit more passionate about math than any of the other students in my class, and he always ended up giving me some extra problems to do when I stopped in his office hours. Not for extra credit or anything, just to challenge me and see if I could work them out. Some of them were quite difficult, given the nature of the course. He was one of the coolest professors I've ever had.

Hey, I can be cool too. PM me and I'll give you difficult problems too :tongue:

Physics news on Phys.org
micromass said:
Russian logic?

Consider logical fallacies. In standard logic, you remove appeals to authority. In Russian logic, authority appeals to remove you!

hsetennis said:
Consider logical fallacies. In standard logic, you remove appeals to authority. In Russian logic, authority appeals to remove you!

:rofl:

micromass said:
Hey, I can be cool too. PM me and I'll give you difficult problems too :tongue:

Hmm...I have a feeling that your definition of "difficult" may be just a bit beyond mine, but I might take you up on that. Not right now though, it's 1 am here, and I'm not in a very mathematical state at the moment. More like "eating a bowl of ice cream and listening to music" mode at the moment. :smile:

QuantumCurt said:
Hmm...I have a feeling that your definition of "difficult" may be just a bit beyond mine, but I might take you up on that. Not right now though, it's 1 am here, and I'm not in a very mathematical state at the moment. More like "eating a bowl of ice cream and listening to music" mode at the moment. :smile:

Hmmm... I also had a professor who said "Solving integrals is like eating a bowl of ice cream. Just sit back and enjoy the moment."

I could never figure out which one to believe.

Well

ADVANCED MATRIX ANALYSIS

SURVIVAL ANALYSIS

Epidemiology for Public Health

It's gunna be weird heading back to school.

Theorem. said:
Fall
Honors Real Variables
Algebra: Groups and Fields
Algebra: Advanced Group Theory
Topics in Algebra (Graduate Course- Topic will be lie algebra structure theory!)

They split your algebra up into parts like that and allow you to take them simultaneously? Are they undergrad classes? We have Abstract Algebra 1 and 2, where Abs Alg 1 is a prerequisite for 2.

hsetennis said:

Haha this is awesome. I can just see my research advisor saying something like this in his thick Russian accent.

Just a tentative schedule:
Intro to OOP and Data Structures
Intro to Topology
Honors Linear Algebra
Race, Class, Labor and Food in Tompkins County

hsetennis said:

lol! That's awesome. I want to take that class.

jbrussell93 said:
Hmmm... I also had a professor who said "Solving integrals is like eating a bowl of ice cream. Just sit back and enjoy the moment."

I could never figure out which one to believe.

Well, I rather enjoy ice cream, so I should enjoy solving integrals too I guess.

My fall semester consists of:

PHY492 Advanced Atmospheric Physics
APM346 Partial Differential Equations
ACT230 Mathematics of Finance for Non-Actuaries
SLA317 Tolstoy
CIN211 Science Fiction Film

Overall a pretty interesting semester (hopefully, at least).

I might change the economics and philosophies class around. Have to think about it a bit more.

Introduction to Economics
Philosophies of the World
Complex Variables
Electricity and Magnetism II
Quantum Mechanics
Senior Seminar

Differentiable Manifolds 1
Measure Theory and Lebesgue Integration
Honors Algebra
General Relativity

1 physics course as a physics major...not too shabby :tongue2:

WannabeNewton said:
Honors Algebra
General Relativity

You're taking Algebra?

Sticking around for another semester as an undergrad, taking:

-Analog Electronics (again, sigh), only graduation requirement I need.
-Differential Geometry from the math dept. Will pay the inflated fee if I can convince my department to put it on my physics transcript.And hopefully some extra-official research if I can pin down the prof who agreed to supervise me early on enough.

@WannabeNewton: Jelly beans! I want to take differentiable manifolds!

@Micromass: Unfortunately, my school does not offer Russian Logic. If they did, I would take it in a heart beat!

Jorriss said:
You're taking Algebra?
I have to. It's a strict mandatory pre-req class for Lie Groups so I don't have much of a choice.

You don't like algebra?

dustbin said:
You don't like algebra?
I mean it isn't philosophy of baking so I'm not complaining :biggrin:

That sounds like "no". lol

WannabeNewton said:
I mean it isn't philosophy of baking so I'm not complaining :biggrin:

I want to take a philosophy of baking class. That sounds like an incredibly fascinating subject.

Even better...a Philosophy of BACON class! That's one that you'd have to register for the moment registration opens up. It would be full within a matter of minutes.

QuantumCurt said:
Philosophy of BACON

This is up there with Russian Logic.

dustbin said:
This is up there with Russian Logic.

Perhaps the two could be combined? Logic and Formal Reasoning of Russian Bacon?

The Russian Logic of Formal Bacon?

dustbin said:
Logic and Formal Reasoning of Salo? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salo_(food)

I can only imagine what formal bacon is O.O

Formal bacon is bacon on a level that the common person rarely sees. You've got to be in the right "circle" to even have access to it. Sadly, I'm not in that circle. I've seen it a couple times before though.

Salo? Hmm...I don't know what to think of that.Anywho...I've only got a week and a half until my semester starts. I'm still trying to come to terms with that. I've been enjoying this whole "lounging around the house all day" thing.

QuantumCurt said:
...I've only got a week and a half until my semester starts. I'm still trying to come to terms with that. I've been enjoying this whole "lounging around the house all day" thing.

Lounging is certainly one of the great luxuries of life, enjoy it while you can...

QuantumCurt said:
Even better...a Philosophy of BACON class! That's one that you'd have to register for the moment registration opens up. It would be full within a matter of minutes.
WBN wouldn't be in that class lol.

Fall

Calculus 1
Chemistry 1
General physics 1
Intro to Engineering design.

It starts in two weeks.

Jorriss said:
WBN wouldn't be in that class lol.

I'm a vegetarian and I would take that class...

Analysis 2
Algebra
Grad Numerical Analysis
Research
Language

woo!

I'm taking:
Calculus 2
General Chemistry 2
College Physics 1
Beginners German

I have no clue what I'm taking. I know that I'm definitely taking Quantum Mechanics II and Statistical Mechanics, but aside from that, I don't know...

Metta said:
Fall

Calculus 1
Chemistry 1
General physics 1
Intro to Engineering design.

It starts in two weeks.

Your schedule's pretty similar to mine. I've got Calculus I, General Physics I, General Chemistry I...but I've got Intro to Anthropology, and Beginning Spanish I. Aside from that, sounds like we'll have a similar semester.

I'm looking forward to it. Should be a fun and challenging semester.

Fall Semester:

Calculus!
Linear Algebra I
Foundations of physics I
History and philosophy of science
Scientific Revolutions I

Only 3 weeks now!

Subatomic Physics
Electricity and Magnetism
English Composition I (zzzz, never been good at writing essays)
Public speaking

WannabeNewton said:
I have to. It's a strict mandatory pre-req class for Lie Groups so I don't have much of a choice.

I thought in most universities you can just talk to the professors and they'll allow you to take their class if you can show you know the pre-req material well. Nonetheless, have fun with your cosets and isomorphisms!

WannabeNewton said:
Honors Algebra
General Relativity

Is that the graduate Algebra with Dennis?

I hope you don't mind if I ask what you took last year?