GTR Postulates: What to Know About the Equivalence Principle

• Thread starter A AM ARYA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Postulates
In summary: The metric tensor g_{\mu\nu} on M^{4} is a dynamical field satisfying second order partial differential equations.3) The principle of equivalence.4) The principle of general covariance.1-4 allow you to derive the H-E Lagrangian.1-4 allow you to derive the H-E Lagrangian.These have a lot of redundancy. 1, 2, and 5 would suffice. There also doesn't seem to me to be a clean logical separation between 2 and 5 in your formulation.3 and 4 don't really work as postulates, because nobody has succeeded in formulating them in a way that's both rigorous and nont
A AM ARYA
I know STR is based on two postulates viz.
1.All laws of physics are equally valid in all inertial frames of reference i.e There is no such experiment one can perform to know whether he is moving or not if he is in an inertial frame of reference.
2.The speed of light is constant(3*10^8 m/s approx.) in vacuum.
But what about the postulates of GTR?Is it only the equivalence principle or something else?

Physics news on Phys.org
The 2nd one for SR is usually formulated:
The speed of light in vacuum has the same value (299792458 m/s) irrespective of the inertial system of reference it's being measured in.

A given theory can have more than one axiomatization. What you're referring to in #1 is Einstein's original 1905 axiomatization, which from the modern point of view is goofy. There are other axiomatizations, based on symmetry principles, that make more sense from the modern point of view. (This is the approach used by, e.g., Morin, Takeuchi, and my own SR book, http://lightandmatter.com/sr/ .)

Likewise there is no particular reason to expect there to be a unique axiomatization of GR. However, one possibility might be as follows. (1) Spacetime is a Hausdorff differentiable manifold with a Lorentzian metric. (2) The Einstein field equation holds.

In nontechnical language, statement #1 basically says that spacetime doesn't have to be flat or have the trivial topology, while #2 says "Spacetime tells matter how to move; matter tells spacetime how to curve" (Wheeler).

More broadly, GR can be described as the unique generalization of SR that has the equivalence principle and general covariance. This description is in some ways nicer because it allows for other formulations of the theory that are more or less equivalent to the standard one, such as ADM or Ashtekar, or the description of gravity as a spin-2 field on a flat background (Deser).

Last edited:
Likes A AM ARYA
A AM ARYA said:
I know STR is based on two postulates viz.
1.All laws of physics are equally valid in all inertial frames of reference i.e There is no such experiment one can perform to know whether he is moving or not if he is in an inertial frame of reference.
2.The speed of light is constant(3*10^8 m/s approx.) in vacuum.
But what about the postulates of GTR?Is it only the equivalence principle or something else?

1) Pseudo Riemannian manifold [itex]M^{4}[/itex].
2) The metric tensor [itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex] on [itex]M^{4}[/itex] is a dynamical field satisfying second order partial differential equations.
3) The principle of equivalence.
4) The principle of general covariance.
1-4 lead uniquely to the Hilbert-Einstein Lagrangian. This in turn leads to the Einstein’s field equations of GR via an
5) Action principle.

Likes dextercioby
samalkhaiat said:
2) The metric tensor [itex]g_{\mu\nu}[/itex] on [itex]M^{4}[/itex] is a dynamical field satisfying second order partial differential equations.
3) The principle of equivalence.
4) The principle of general covariance.
1-4 lead uniquely to the Hilbert-Einstein Lagrangian. This in turn leads to the Einstein’s field equations of GR via an
5) Action principle.

These have a lot of redundancy. 1, 2, and 5 would suffice. There also doesn't seem to me to be a clean logical separation between 2 and 5 in your formulation.

3 and 4 don't really work as postulates, because nobody has succeeded in formulating them in a way that's both rigorous and nontrivial. Re general covariance, see http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0603087 . Re the e.p., see http://arxiv.org/abs/0707.2748 . In any case, they're not needed as postulates. See also http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0309074v1 .

If you think the 2 postulates I listed in #3 are insufficient, and a much longer list like this is necessary, I would be interested to see a counterexample, i.e., a model of my postulates that is not a model of your postulates.

This is more of a technical quibble, but most people agree that you need to explicitly say that the spacetime is Hausdorff.

Last edited:
By [itex]M^{4}[/itex] it is meant a smooth oriented 4-manifold with unbounded, connected, paracompact and Hausdroff included in the term “manifold”.
1-4 allow you to derive the H-E Lagrangian.

samalkhaiat said:
1-4 allow you to derive the H-E Lagrangian.

It's impossible to say whether this claim is true unless you define in more detail what you mean by your postulates 3 and 4. As described in detail in the references I gave in my #5, these two postulates have no rigorous meanings as stated.

You also haven't addressed my question about demonstrating the necessity of your 3 and 4 by exhibiting a model -- but this would also depend on your being able to define more rigorously what you mean by 3 and 4.

samalkhaiat said:

BTW, a couple of side issues on this point. As written, this would allow 2+2 dimensions but exclude 2+1 or 5+1. I don't think anyone considers a theory of 2+2-dimensional spacetime to be GR, which is why I think "Lorentzian" works better than "pseudo-Riemannian." As a matter of taste, I also don't think it's a good idea to exclude n+1 dimensions with ##n\ne3##. Cases other than n=3 are frequently of interest, even as descriptions of our own universe, and are usually included as part of GR.

Proving that a set of axioms A for a theory is equivalent to another set B (or that some axioms in the set A are actually theorems of the remaining axioms in the set A) is a nice logical and mathematical exercise. To my modest knowledge, there are only 2 books I know of that put axioms for GR: an elementary one (Ray d'Inverno's "Introducing Einstein's Relativity") and an advanced one (Sachs and Wu's "General Relativity for Mathematicians").

Likes A AM ARYA
dextercioby said:
To my modest knowledge, there are only 2 books I know of that put axioms for GR: an elementary one (Ray d'Inverno's "Introducing Einstein's Relativity") and an advanced one (Sachs and Wu's "General Relativity for Mathematicians").

Cool. Those systems are likely to have been more carefully constructed than what we've come up with here. Can you describe them for us?

1. What is the Equivalence Principle?

The Equivalence Principle is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the effects of gravitational force and acceleration are indistinguishable. This means that an observer in a uniform gravitational field cannot tell the difference between being at rest in that field and being in an accelerated frame of reference.

2. How is the Equivalence Principle related to General Theory of Relativity (GTR)?

The Equivalence Principle is one of the postulates of GTR, along with the Principle of General Covariance and the Principle of Equivalence of Gravitational and Inertial Mass. These postulates form the foundation of GTR and help explain the behavior of gravity and the curvature of spacetime.

3. What are the implications of the Equivalence Principle?

The Equivalence Principle has several important implications for GTR. It is the basis for the concept of gravitational time dilation, which states that time moves slower in stronger gravitational fields. It also leads to the prediction of gravitational lensing, where light is bent by massive objects in space.

4. How is the Equivalence Principle tested?

The Equivalence Principle has been tested and confirmed through various experiments, such as the Eötvös experiment and the Pound-Rebka experiment. These experiments involve measuring the acceleration of different objects in a uniform gravitational field and comparing it to the acceleration of the same objects in an accelerated frame of reference.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Equivalence Principle?

While the Equivalence Principle holds true in most cases, there are some exceptions. For example, it does not apply to extreme conditions such as near the event horizon of a black hole. Additionally, the Equivalence Principle is only applicable in the context of classical physics and does not hold in the realm of quantum mechanics.