Why is the Principle of Equivalence Necessary for GTR?

In summary: The principle of equivalence is a necessary conceptual footing for general relativity because it guarantees the compatibility of the gravitational field with the rest of the universe. Without it, the gravitational field could cause tides in other parts of the universe that would not be consistent with the rest of the universe.
e2m2a
TL;DR Summary
What is the relevance of the principle of equivalence in the general theory of relativity. Constant accelerating reference frames do not generate "tidal" forces in their frames.
I am studying the general theory of relativity(GTR). Covariance and the principle of equivalence are foundational pillars for the theory. I can understand the need for covariance but I don't see why the need for the principle of equivalence (POE). What I have seen so far is that the properties and curvature of spacetime due to mass/energy via the energy-momentum tensor(EMT) must be described by using the Riemann tensor, Ricci tensor, and the Ricci scalar, among other mathematical objects such as the Christoffel symbols. But these curvature measuring tensors and non-tensors are not applicable in an accelerating reference frame because real curvature does not occur in accelerating systems that are accelerating in flat spacetime. So why did EInstein cite the POE as a necessary foundation? Are Christoffel symbols even relevant in linearly accelerating reference frames? I understand that POE is defined for a homogenous gravitational field locally. But globally the POE does not admit tidal forces. So why even the need for the POE as a conceptual footing for GTR?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
e2m2a said:
Summary:: What is the relevance of the principle of equivalence in the general theory of relativity. Constant accelerating reference frames do not generate "tidal" forces in their frames.

Are Christoffel symbols even relevant in linearly accelerating reference frames?
Yes. Very very very relevant.

Orodruin said:
Yes. Very very very relevant.
How are Christoffel symbols used in linearly accelerating systems?

e2m2a said:
How are Christoffel symbols used in linearly accelerating systems?
Christoffel symbols are relevant to any curvilinear coordinate system (as it is in Euclidean space as well), which is effectively what an accelerated coordinate system in Minkowski space is by definition.

How would the theory look if gravitational mass was not equal to inertial mass?

Rabindranath said:
It would not be a geometric theory.

Likes Dale
Rabindranath said:
mmm. let me think about that.

e2m2a said:
globally the POE does not admit tidal forces
There is no "globally" for the POE. It is only a local principle. That's the whole point: every curved spacetime looks locally like flat spacetime, but only locally.

e2m2a said:
Summary:: What is the relevance of the principle of equivalence in the general theory of relativity. Constant accelerating reference frames do not generate "tidal" forces in their frames.

. I can understand the need for covariance but I don't see why the need for the principle of equivalence (POE).
The POE basically says that gravity can be described as spacetime geometry. So it is pretty central to GR. Any theory that respects the POE can be geometrized and any geometrical theory of gravity respects the POE.

Likes vanhees71, Ibix and PeterDonis
An alternative is to make Poincare symmetry of SR local, which also leads to a spacetime geometrical description of the gravitational interaction, and the EP is derived in this way. In the most general case when matter with non-zero-spin particles is present, it's however an extension of GR to Einstein-Cartan theory (i.e., a differentiable manifold with pseudometric of signature (1,3) or (3,1) with a metric compatible connection and torsion).

Likes Dale

1. Why is the principle of equivalence necessary for General Theory of Relativity (GTR)?

The principle of equivalence is necessary for GTR because it is one of the fundamental principles on which the theory is built. It states that the effects of gravity on an object are indistinguishable from the effects of acceleration. This principle allows for the unification of gravity and acceleration, which is crucial for understanding the behavior of massive objects in space.

2. How does the principle of equivalence impact our understanding of gravity?

The principle of equivalence is a cornerstone of GTR and it has completely revolutionized our understanding of gravity. It has allowed us to view gravity as a curvature of spacetime rather than a force between masses. This concept has been confirmed by numerous experiments, including the famous bending of light around massive objects such as stars.

3. Can you explain the difference between the principle of equivalence and the equivalence principle?

The principle of equivalence refers to the fundamental idea that gravity and acceleration are equivalent, while the equivalence principle is a more specific statement within GTR. The equivalence principle states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, regardless of their position or motion. This principle is crucial for the development of GTR and has been confirmed by numerous experiments.

4. How does the principle of equivalence relate to the concept of spacetime?

The principle of equivalence is closely related to the concept of spacetime in GTR. It states that the effects of gravity, which is a curvature of spacetime, are equivalent to the effects of acceleration. This allows for the unification of gravity and spacetime, which is the basis of GTR. Without the principle of equivalence, our understanding of the relationship between gravity and spacetime would be incomplete.

5. Are there any practical applications of the principle of equivalence?

Yes, the principle of equivalence has several practical applications. One of the most significant is in the field of gravitational wave detection. The principle of equivalence allows us to detect the tiny distortions in spacetime caused by gravitational waves, which has opened up a whole new field of astronomy. Additionally, the principle of equivalence is used in the development of precise clocks and GPS systems, which rely on the accurate measurement of time and space.