1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential and field of a thing circular ring

1. Nov 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to work through an example in my classical mechanics textbook (Fowles and Cassiday, 7th ed, example 6.7.2. The problem I am having is when he expands the integrand into a power series. I'll write out the first part of the solution. The question is "find the potential function and the gravitational field intensity in the plane of a thin circular ring

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\Phi=-G\int\frac{dM}{s}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\Phi=-G\int\frac{dM}{s}=-G\int^{2\pi}_0\frac{\mu R d\theta}{s}[/tex]where [itex]\mu[/itex] is the linear mass density of the ring,R is the radius of the ring and M is the mass of the ring. Then using the law of
    cosines we have[tex]\Phi=-2R\mu G\int^{\pi}_0\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{r^2+R^2-2Rr\cos\theta}}[/tex][tex]\Phi=-\frac{2R\mu G}{r}\int^{\pi}_0\frac{d\theta}{\sqrt{1+(R/r)^2-2(R/r)\cos\theta}}[/tex]The next part is where I am getting stuck. It says to expand in a power series of x=R/r [tex]\Phi=-2x \mu G\int^{\pi}_0\left[\left( 1-\frac{1}{2}x^2+x\cos\theta\right)+\frac{3}{8}\left(x^2-2x\cos\theta\right)^2+\dots\right]d\theta[/tex]What is happening in this step? Sorry if this belongs in intro physics. It's a junior year course though.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Nov 25, 2013 #3
    oh my goodness. thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted