Potential and Kinetic Energy Problem

In summary, a softball of mass 400g is thrown straight up into the air and reaches a maximum altitude of 15.2m before returning to ground level. The gravitational potential energy at its highest position is 59.584 J. To calculate the kinetic energy, we can use the conservation of energy principle or the kinematic motion equations. By setting the initial total energy equal to the final total energy, we can find the kinetic energy of the ball as it leaves your hand and when it returns to your hand. Additionally, using the known distance, gravity, and the fact that the ball's velocity is zero at its highest point, we can also calculate its speed when it returns to your hand.
CeceBear

Homework Statement

You throw a softball (of mass 400g) straight up into the air. It reaches a maximum altitude of 15.2m and then returns to you.
What is the gravitational potential energy of the softball at its highest position? Assume the ball departed from and returned to ground level.
Assume no energy is lost by the softball while it is in the air.
What is the kinetic energy of the softball as soon as it leaves your hand?
What is the kinetic energy of the softball when it returns to your hand?
What is the speed of the ball?

Homework Equations

PE = mgh
KE = (1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already calculated the PE to be 59.584 J. I'm not sure how to calculate KE without a velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can try using the conservation of energy principle. Or use the kinematic motion equations. Have you tried either method?

PhanthomJay said:
You can try using the conservation of energy principle. Or use the kinematic motion equations. Have you tried either method?

But I only have distance. I don't have time, acceleration, or velocity for the kinematic equations. And according to the conservation of energy law, wouldn't KE just be -PE?

I think you are forgetting one more equation
total energy: KE+PE
so you can try setting up like this using conservation of energy
Initial Total Energy=Final Total Energy

as for kinematic equations, you do have acceleration. You can figure out velocity by finding time it takes to reach the top or fall to the ground using kinematics
funny I just had a question about Conservation of energy as well >_>...starting a new thread..

wouldn't KE just be -PE?
KE would equal to PE (not -PE) but this depends on when you are talking about. (it would be true if use KE when PE=0 and PE when KE=0)

Last edited:
Ok, I think I've got it now. Thank you very much!

Using the known distance, gravity, and the fact that its velocity is zero at its highest point you can find its final velocity

1. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. In other words, potential energy is stored energy, while kinetic energy is energy in motion.

2. How do you calculate potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy can be calculated using the equation PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. Kinetic energy can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity of the object.

3. What are some examples of potential and kinetic energy?

Examples of potential energy include a stretched rubber band, a book resting on a shelf, and a car at the top of a hill. Examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a swinging pendulum, and a rolling ball.

4. How are potential and kinetic energy related?

Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. For example, when a roller coaster car is at the top of a hill, it has a lot of potential energy. As it goes down the hill, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, causing the car to move faster and faster.

5. Can potential and kinetic energy be created or destroyed?

No, according to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be converted from one form to another. This means that potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy, but the total amount of energy remains the same.