Potential Energy of 2 Masses Connected by a String - Find Theta

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Parallel
Messages
42
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A figure is attached.
A string with length L connects two beads with masses M1,M2.
what is the equilibrium point?(in terms of the angle theta,as in the figure)

The Attempt at a Solution



well I know that I need to find the potential energy as a function of theta,and then find the minimum.

but I don't know how to express the potential energy in terms of theta
 
Attachments
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    4.8 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
You know the distance between m1 and m2 is L. To get started, find the distances of m1 and m2 from the rightangle in terms of L and theta.
 
well this is easy

for m1 : l*cos(theta)
for m2 : l*sin(theta)

I can't see how this is helping me
(by the way,this is not homework,I'm doing extra problems from the book)
 
The potential energy of a mass = mgh where h is the vertical distance from some point.

From those lengths, finding the vertical distance of the masses below the right angle (using alpha) is also easy.
 
can't believe I didnt see it..really easy

thanks :)