1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential energy of a particle in a system

1. Oct 8, 2014 #1
    • Warning! Posting template must be used for homework questions.
    1. A single conservative force acting on a particle within a system varies as
    Farrowbold.gif = (− Ax + Bx6)ihat N, where A and B are constants, Farrowbold.gif is in newtons, and x is in meters.
    (a) Calculate the potential energy function U(x) associated with this force, taking U = 0 at x = 0.
    (b) Find the change in potential energy and change in kinetic energy as the particle moves from
    x = 1.30 m to x = 3.60 m.

2. I got Ax^2/2 - b^7/2 but it was wrong so I'm really confused on how to go about this problem

Thanks!!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The potential energy corresponding to force [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] is a scalar function [itex]\phi(x,y)[/itex] such that [itex]\nabla \phi= -\vec{F}[/itex]. Of course, [itex]\nabla \phi[/itex] is defined as [itex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}\vec{j}[/itex]. But it is not clear to me what "F" is- is "N" a vector? If so, what vector?

If you mean that [itex]\vec{F}= (-Ax+ Bx^6)\vec{i}[/itex] then we must have
    [tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}= Ax- Bx^6[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}= 0[/tex].

From [itex]\partial \phi/\partial x= Ax- Bx^6[/itex], we have
    [tex]\phi(x,y)= \frac{A}{2}x^2- \frac{B}{7}x^7+ p(y)[/tex]
    But then
    [tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}= p'(y)= 0[/tex]
    so that p(y) is actually a constant:
    [tex]\phi(x, y)= \frac{A}{2}x^2- \frac{B}{7}x^7+ C[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  4. Oct 8, 2014 #3
    Hi, thanks for the help! that was the same answer I got but it was wrong and I don't really understand what I'm supposed to do

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted