Potential energy of a System of charges

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving three electrons, where the first two are fixed and the third is shot from infinity and stops midway between the first two. The initial speed of the third electron is asked to be determined. The conversation also includes equations for potential energy and kinetic energy, and discusses the correctness of the method used to solve the problem. Extra credit is also mentioned, involving determining the frequency of oscillation when the third electron is displaced a small amount towards one of the stationary electrons.
Physicslearner500039
Homework Statement
Two electrons are fixed 2.0 cm apart. Another electron is shot from infinity and stops midway
between the two. What is its initial speed?
Relevant Equations
NA
P24_49_Q.PNG

This is my attempt the system

P24_49_S1.PNG

The 1 is the initial configuration where the 3 electron is at infinity.

The 2 is the final configuration where the 3 electron is midway.U1 is the potential energy between e1 and e2
U1 = (q1*q2)/(4*π*ε0 * (0.02)^2); // q1, q2 charge of electrons
K1 = 0.5*me*V^2; // me mass of electron, V initial velocity to find out.

In configuration 2:

Potential energy = U12 + U13 + U23;

U12 = U1;
U13 = U23 = (q1*q2)/(4*π*ε0 * (0.01)^2);

U1 + K1 = U12 + U13 + U23;
K1 = 2*e2/(4*π*ε0 * (0.01)^2);
I then find the initial velocity, Is my understanding correct? Please advise.

Physics news on Phys.org
Physicslearner500039 said:
[edit]:
Try again. From dimensions you can see this isn't right My bad o:) --- ##U## is an energy, not a potential. The notation confused me.

I am almost confused by a renaming action like ##U_1 = U_{12}## -- Why introduce this ? Next line, you write ##U_1 ... = U_{12} ... ## again, as if you want to conceal that they are one and the same.

Is my understanding correct?
Why the doubt ?

PS do you think this is a realistic exercise ? Why / c.q. Why not ?

Last edited:
Likes Physicslearner500039
Homework Statement:: Two electrons are fixed 2.0 cm apart. Another electron is shot from infinity and stops midway
between the two. What is its initial speed?U1 is the potential energy between e1 and e25

In configuration 2:

The electrons 1 and 2 are fixed. only the potential energy of the third one counts., the energy of the third electron is conserved.

Homework Statement:: Two electrons are fixed 2.0 cm apart. Another electron is shot from infinity and stops midway
between the two. What is its initial speed?
Relevant Equations:: NA

View attachment 261125

This is my attempt the system

View attachment 261127
The 1 is the initial configuration where the 3 electron is at infinity.

The 2 is the final configuration where the 3 electron is midway.U1 is the potential energy between e1 and e2
K1 = 0.5*me*V^2; // me mass of electron, V initial velocity to find out.

In configuration 2:

U12 = U1;
U13 = U23 = (q1*q2)/(4*π*ε0 * (0.01)^2);

U1 + K1 = U12 + U13 + U23;
K1 = 2*e2/(4*π*ε0 * (0.01)^2);
I then find the initial velocity, Is my understanding correct? Please advise.
Method is correct. But you should not square the position. It is like U= ( K x q1 x q2) / r
I think do

Equate the potential energy of the third charge at the midpoint to the kineic energy at infinity. Looks like you're trying to do that. Also note what neelima said about r. I don't understand why you have all those ##U_{ij} ## terms. There is only one potential energy, and one kinetic energy.

Last edited:
(For extra credit:) The third electron sits exactly between the two stationary electrons. The third electron is then displaced a small amount directly towards one of the stationary electrons. What is the frequency of oscillation?

Likes BvU and Physicslearner500039

1. What is potential energy of a system of charges?

The potential energy of a system of charges is the energy that is stored in the configuration of the charges. It is a measure of the work that would be required to bring the charges from an infinite distance apart to their current configuration.

2. How is potential energy of a system of charges calculated?

The potential energy of a system of charges is calculated using the equation U = kQq/r, where U is the potential energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q and q are the charges of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of a system of charges?

The potential energy of a system of charges is affected by the magnitude of the charges, the distance between them, and the medium in which the charges are located. It is also affected by the presence of other charges in the surrounding environment.

4. How does potential energy of a system of charges relate to electric potential?

The electric potential at a point in space is the potential energy per unit charge at that point. In other words, it is a measure of the potential energy that a unit charge would have at that point. Therefore, the potential energy of a system of charges can be calculated by multiplying the electric potential by the total charge of the system.

5. Can potential energy of a system of charges be negative?

Yes, potential energy of a system of charges can be negative. This occurs when the charges in the system have opposite signs and are attracted to each other. In this case, the potential energy is negative because work would need to be done to separate the charges and bring them to an infinite distance apart.