1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential generated by an ionized plasma between two plates

Tags:
  1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An ionized plasma flows with a velocity v in the z direction, though a rectangular pipe with x, y, z dimensions of w, h, l respectively. The walls at [itex] x=\pm w/2 [/itex] are insulating while the walls at [itex]y=\pm h/2[/itex] are conducting. Lastly there is a magnetic field B in the x direction.

Find the potential between the conducting walls.

2. Relevant equations

Maxwell's equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not used to problems with plasmas, but I take it the velocity somewhat similar to current here. I'm not sure what I need to find the potential though, perhaps the electric field between the plates, but then I'm not sure where to find that. I think my main problem is I'm just not sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2013 #2
    Plasma consists of charged particles. Consider one of them, with charge q. It is said to flow with velocity v in the z direction. That means the net force on the particle is zero. But there are a magnetic field and an electric field, both exerting forces on it.

4. Dec 4, 2013 #3
    Yea that really simplifies things from how I was approaching it. So [itex]F_{mag} = F_{electric}[/itex]
    [tex]EQ=Q(v \times B) [/tex]
    [tex]E=-vB [/tex]
    so then
    [tex]V = hBv[/tex]

5. Dec 4, 2013 #4
    Not exactly. Rather, it is ##F_e + F_m = 0##. So check the signs in what follows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted