1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential of a uniformly polarized sphere

1. Mar 25, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the potential of a uniformly polarized sphere directly from eq. 9

2. Relevant equations

[tex]V(r)=k \int \frac {P(r') \cdot \hat{r}} {r^2} d\tau[/tex]
    3. The attempt at a solution
    P is a constant and can be factored out. Since r is taken, call the radius of the sphere R and and an arbitrary radial length l. Then by the law of cosines we can express the denominator for every volume element as.

[tex]r^2=l^2+z^2-2lzcos\theta[/tex]

This is where I'm stuck. What can I do with r hat? Nothing? I understand that its a unit vector in the direction of of the volume element to the point I'm trying to evaluate at, but I'm not sure if I need to change anything about it or not. z is constant so in theory once I have that changed I can evaluate the integral. Is there an easier way?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2017 #2
    It says uniformly polarized, but what is the direction of polarization? Keep in mind it's actually a vector field, and you are dotting it with ##\hat r##.

4. Mar 25, 2017 #3

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your expression for the potential should be
    $$ V(r)=k \int \frac {\vec{P}(r') \cdot (\vec{r}-\vec{r}')} {|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^{3/2}} d^3 r' $$
    where ##\vec{r}## is the position of the point of interest and ##\vec{r}'## is the position of volume element ##d^3 r'##. Note the integration over primed coordinates. I suggest that you write each of the vectors in the integrand in terms of unit vectors, then assemble the integrand.

5. Mar 26, 2017 #4
    Okay so P is uniform in the z direction. z hat dotted with r hat is equal to the cosine of the angle between the two, which I call phi. This angle is the top angle in the triangle that i utilized with the law of cosines to find r^2. Using the law of cosines again, I can relate phi to the rest of the triangle and plug in for r.

[tex]
    l^{2}=z^2+r^2-2zrcos\phi[/tex]

[tex]cos\phi = \frac {l^2-z^2-r^2} {-2zr}[/tex]

With some simplication,

[tex]kP \int \frac {z - lcos\theta} {(z^2+l^2-2zlcos\theta)^{3/2}}l^2sin\theta dld\theta d\psi[/tex]

How's that integral look?

6. Mar 26, 2017 #5

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are cutting corners that will lead you into trouble. The integration is over primed coordinates which your integrand does not show.
    1. Use spherical coordinates ##(r, \theta, \phi)## for ##\vec{r}## and ##(r', \theta ', \phi ')## for ##\vec{r}'##.
    2. Write expressions for ##\vec{r}## and ##\vec{r}'## in terms of these coordinates in the Cartesian representation. Without loss of generality, you can set ##\phi=0## and ##\phi ' = 0##.
    3. Find an expression for ##(\vec{r}-\vec{r}') ##.
    4. Find an expression for ##|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|^{3/2} ##.
    5. Take the dot product ##\vec{P}(r') \cdot (\vec{r}-\vec{r}')##.
    6. Assemble the integrand. It should be in terms of ##(r, \theta, \phi)## and ##(r', \theta ', \phi ')##.
    7. Integrate over primed coordinates. I would do ##\theta '## first.

7. Mar 26, 2017 #6
    kuruman is right. I didn't notice at first but your equation is slightly off. But, if that's what the book is giving you/asking you to use then so be it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted