Potential of the inner earthed sphere

In summary, the problem involves an outer shell with charge +Q and an inner sphere that is earthed with radii b and a respectively. The question is to find the potential of a point at distance r from the center of the inner sphere, where r=b and r=a. The equation for finding the potential at r is V = -\int charge/(4\pi\epsilon r^2) from infinity to r. To solve this problem, one must first determine the amount of induced charge on the inner sphere, which can be calculated since it is an open system and is earthed. The potential of the inner sphere must be 0, and therefore the potential at the center of the two spheres must also be 0.
twinklestar10

Homework Statement

An outer shell of charge +Q is insulated by a light thread. There is an inner sphere inside which is earthed. The radii of the outer shell and inner sphere are b and a respectively. What is the potential of a point which is at a distance r from the centre of the inner sphere, where
(i) r=b?
(ii) r=a?

Homework Equations

V at r = - [tex]\int charge/ (4\pi\epsilon r^{2})[/tex] from infinity to r

The Attempt at a Solution

Before answering the questions above, I find it difficult to calculate the amount of induced charge on the inner sphere... Because the outer shell having a charge of +Q doesn't mean that the inner shell must have an induced charge of -Q.

How can I find the amount of induced charge?
My teacher gave us some hints to solve this question:
the inner sphere is an open system as it is earthed
the amount of charge of the inner sphere can be calculated

Besides, I initially thought the potential must be 0 without calculation because it is earthed, but when I tried to do the integration (V = dE/ dr), I couldn't get it as 0 (maybe it's due to the problem that I couldn't find the amount of induced charge of the inner sphere)

Can anyone help me?

thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The inner earthed sphere must have a potential of 0, because it's earthed. That means the potential of the two spheres' center must also be 0, since there's no electric field inside the inner sphere.

but how to prove it using mathematical calculations? i couldn't get it as 0 using the integration of electric field with respect to r.

What is the inner earthed sphere?

The inner earthed sphere refers to the innermost layer of the Earth's structure, also known as the inner core. It is a solid, dense, and extremely hot sphere made up of mostly iron and nickel.

What is the potential of the inner earthed sphere?

The potential of the inner earthed sphere is the amount of energy that can be harnessed from the intense heat and pressure within the inner core. This energy potential is being explored for potential use in geothermal and renewable energy sources.

How is the potential of the inner earthed sphere measured?

The potential of the inner earthed sphere is measured through seismic imaging techniques and geophysical surveys. This involves using sound waves and other methods to study the Earth's interior and determine the physical properties of the inner core.

What are the current uses of the inner earthed sphere's potential?

Currently, the inner earthed sphere's potential is being explored for use in geothermal energy production. The intense heat within the inner core can be used to generate electricity in areas with active geothermal activity. It is also being studied for potential use in other renewable energy sources such as magma energy and deep drilling for hot dry rock geothermal energy.

What are the potential future uses of the inner earthed sphere?

In addition to geothermal energy, the potential of the inner earthed sphere may also be used for scientific research and exploration. By studying the inner core, scientists hope to gain a better understanding of Earth's formation and evolution. It may also have potential uses in industrial processes and space exploration in the future.