1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged sphere and charged conducting shell

1. Jul 27, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A + q = 5 pC charge is uniformly distributed on a non-conducting sphere of radius a= 5 cm , which is placed in the center of a spherical conducting shell of inner radius b = 10 cm and outer radius c = 12 cm. The outer conducting shell is charged with a -q charge. Determine:
    1) the charges on the inner and outer surfaces of the shell;
    2) the electric field (module, direction) everywhere;
    3) the electrostatic potential on the external surface of the conducting shell (r = c), on the internal surface of the shell (r = b) and on the outer surface of the internal sphere of radius a (r = a).
    Suppose now to replace the inner sphere with a spherical conductor of radius a charged with the same + q charge:
    4) Which of the previous answers will change and how?
    5) Determine the potential everywhere;
    6) Determine the capacitance of the spherical capacitor formed from the internal conducting sphere of radius a and the outer conducting shell;
    7) If a proton (m = 1.67·10-27 Kg) starts from rest from the spherical conductor of radius a, which will be its speed when it hit the inner surface of the outer spherical shell?

2. Relevant equations
    /

3. The attempt at a solution

img043.jpg

So, I would like to know if my attempt to solve the problem is correct, and how can I continue it in the parts I didn't manage to solve...
    Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No.
    Please explain how you arrived at your answer to 1)

4. Jul 27, 2017 #3
    For the first point my reasoning is: since on the inner sphere we have a + q charge, because of the induction phenomenon, the inner surface of the outer shell has to "balance" that charge, and thus has a charge -q. Since the problem statement tells us that -q is the total shell charge, we know that there is no charge on its outer surface...

5. Jul 27, 2017 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Seems to me his answer to (1) is correct.
    Placing gaussian sphere at b < r < c forces qb = -q.
    Placing gaussian sphere at r > c forces qc = 0.

6. Jul 27, 2017 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can just integrate the E field using your data from (2).

7. Jul 27, 2017 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

My mistake - I read it as +5q instead of +q = 5pC.

I don't understand your attempt at 5). Looks more like an attempt at 6).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  8. Jul 27, 2017 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but we're not told where to set the zero potential. The usual convention is to set that at infinity.

9. Jul 27, 2017 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, and that is where he should and can integrate the E field from. What's the problem?

The custom is to set potential to zero at infinity unless that is impossible - as with a charged wire of infinite length.

10. Jul 27, 2017 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No problem, just adding a detail to your guidance.

11. Jul 27, 2017 #10

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

10-4 ( means "OK", from an old US television show called "Highway Patrol" from which hopefully you were spared! )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted