Power and binomial distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the power for a study where the distribution is binomial and the probability of a device working is unknown. The speaker plans to try the device 50 times and use a binomial distribution program to determine if 43 or more successes would happen by chance less than 5% of the time, indicating that the device works at least 75% of the time. The conversation also touches on the meaning and accuracy of the power of the test and its reliance on knowing the true probability. It is noted that in statistical problems, there is often a demand for answers without sufficient information, unlike in other fields where this would not be expected.
imsmooth
Maybe someone is really good with stats, or has access to a statistics professor. Here we go:

I am trying to determine the power for a study. The distribution is binomial. I have a device that either works or does not work. I do not know the real probability, but I think it is very good. Let's assume p = 0.75. I am going to try it 50 times. Using a binomial distrtibution program I determine that if I get 43 or more successes, this will happen by chance less than 5% (p = 0.05) of the time. So, I will accept that the device works at least 75% of the time if I get 43 successes or more. The question then is what is the power of this study? This seems to be predicated on the fact that I know the real probablility. If I think the device works 89% of the time I find that my power is 82%. If the true success rate is 90% the power goes up to 87%.

How can I get a meaningful number for the power? If my effect size is large, true I have a larger power. But, I don't know the real effect size. I can make the power of the test arbitrarily large by just stating I have large effect size. This does not seem right.

Physics news on Phys.org
imsmooth said:
This seems to be predicated on the fact that I know the real probablility.

It is.

How can I get a meaningful number for the power?

This depends on what you call "meaningful". One question that arises is whether the impressive sounding jargon "power of the test" is really meaningful in your application. Are you simply writing some kind of report and needing to put in a number for "power" that sounds impressive? Or are you trying to solve a problem from a non-marketing point of view?

I can make the power of the test arbitrarily large by just stating I have large effect size.

Yes

This does not seem right.

I agree, but statistics operates under a handicap. When mathematics is applied to surveying, fluid mechanics etc. nobody expects a problem with insufficient information to be solved. However, statistics gets many of its problems from the worlds of economics, social science and complicated settings where people expect to get answers without supplying much information. If someone says to a surveyor "Here is a triangle ABC with AB = 4 and angle ABC = 30 degrees, find the other sides of a triangle", he can patiently explain that there is no mathematical solution to the problem while maintaining his professionalism. In statistical problems, you have people demanding answers because they are going to make important decisions and impugning the information they give you does not please such clients.

Some other thoughts:

The way I interpret your remarks, your "null hypothesis" is that the device works with a probability of 0.75 and (I think) you wouldn't worry if the device had a higher probability of that. So, the idea is to test if the device works with a probability of 0.75 or greater . You are interested in detecting if it has a lower probability. So the practical concern about power ( i.e. "rejecting the null hypothesis when it is false" ) is the probability that you can detect when the device has a low probability of working. So I don't see why the numerical examples of .89 and .90 are relevant to the power of the test. They might be relevant if you really care that the reliability is exactly 0.75.

1. What is power in statistics?

Power in statistics refers to the probability of rejecting the null hypothesis when it is false. In other words, it is the probability of detecting a true effect or relationship in a study. It is typically represented as a decimal or percentage, with higher values indicating a greater ability to detect a true effect.

2. How is power calculated?

Power is calculated using several factors, including the sample size, effect size, alpha level (significance level), and the chosen statistical test. It can be calculated using statistical software, power tables, or online calculators. Generally, larger sample sizes, larger effect sizes, and lower alpha levels result in higher power values.

3. What is the relationship between power and sample size?

The relationship between power and sample size is directly proportional. This means that as the sample size increases, the power of a study also increases. This is because larger sample sizes provide more data points and a better representation of the population, making it easier to detect true effects or relationships.

4. What is the binomial distribution?

The binomial distribution is a probability distribution that describes the likelihood of obtaining a certain number of successes in a fixed number of independent trials. It is often used to model binary outcomes, such as yes or no, success or failure, or heads or tails. It is characterized by two parameters: n, the number of trials, and p, the probability of success in each trial.

5. How is the binomial distribution used in statistical analysis?

The binomial distribution is used to calculate probabilities for specific outcomes in a given number of trials. It is commonly used in hypothesis testing, where the number of successes in a sample is compared to the expected number of successes based on a null hypothesis. It is also used in confidence interval estimation and in calculating the power of a statistical test.