Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Practical Endothermic reactions

1. Aug 27, 2012 #1
    I understand that spontaneous endothermic reactions are used rigorously in the design of instant cold packs to treat injures.

Can someone please list and suggest other uses of spontanous endothermic reactions that can be used practically in everyday life

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

I've seen it proposed for a drink pack where part of it was given over to an endothermic chem mix. You activated the reaction a few minutes before consuming the cold drink.

4. Aug 27, 2012 #3
    Protein synthesis is endothermic. You could literally not live without it.

5. Aug 27, 2012 #4

NascentOxygen

Does the chill due to evaporation of gas qualify as endothermic here? If so, a pressurised aerosol liquid can be sprayed onto a problem circuit board chip or component to assess whether it is temperature sensitive.

Similar thing can be used to temporarily deaden an area of skin to allow minor surgical procedures, e.g., extracting a splinter, lancing a boil. http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/4080/3110y.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Aug 27, 2012 #5
    "temporarily deaden an area of skin to allow minor surgical procedures, e.g., extracting a splinter, lancing a"

what reaction is taking place here?

7. Aug 28, 2012 #6

Borek

None. I think you are just altering kinetics, slowing down all reactions - and changing how fast the nerves transmitting pain signal can work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook