Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Practice Images for CCD Photometry?

1. Nov 5, 2015 #1
    Hi, it seems astronomical FITS images are abundant on the internet. However, I am looking for FITS images of bias/flat and standard stars along with observations to practice CCD photometry and having a harder time.

I would like to be able to take a set of images and obtain the transformation equations in UBV, for instance (using IRAF tasks). Does anyone know a source of FITS which includes bias/flat/standards?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2015 #2
    Still looking for a good source of FITS with object, dark, bias, flat, standards, etc.

I contacted my local university's astronomy department as well as a nearby observatory hoping for a public archive of some sort. No response yet, I suppose its a weird thing to ask...

I also found the IRAF example files which includes a few image sets.

4. Nov 8, 2015 #3
    Well, with a little fiddling I was able to figure out NOAO's public archive to get a full night's worth of data from some random run 5 years ago.

http://portal-nvo.noao.edu/

Not sure this is the best, but it was quite usable with a java based download manager for grabbing the 410 files (1.4 G) worth of data.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook