1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Predict the hybridization and geometry of the indicated atom

1. Sep 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Predict the hybridization and geometry of the indicated atom. Answer all parts.

2. Relevant equations
    CH3CH2

There is a ( - ) sign above the second C

Hybridization = ?
    Geometry = ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I'm supposed to count the groups around the atom, but I'm stuck on that and that's the first step. By finding that out, I can determine the number of orbitals used, and then the type of hybrid orbital.

Can someone explain how to count the number of groups? The more help the better, I really do not get it.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What does the minus mean?

What if that was a plus?

4. Sep 12, 2016 #3

Dr Uma Sharma

Gold Member

Groups are the sigma bonds and lone pairs around the atom .Only sigma bonds and lone pairs are going to use hybridized orbitals ..sigma bonds are actually equal to number of atoms around that atom .
    like in this example
    CH3 - in this case C has three sigma bonds with three atoms and one lone pair because of a negative charge ..so it requires four hybridized orbitals ...hence sp3
    in CH3+
    only three sigma bonds and no lone pair ...so it is sp2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted