Predicting time for water to drain from cup

• Thread starter SkiBum326
  • Start date
Hey,

To start off, we are supposed to be able to predict how long it will take for water to drain from a specific cup. There are 2 variables in this, the height of the water in the cup (not volume), and the size of the hole in the bottom of the cup.

The data I collected appears to be incorrect and I dont no if ill have another chance to collect data. What I basically wanted to know is either a way to go about solving this problem, or if there was a formula for this.

Thanks

Answers and Replies

rl.bhat
Homework Helper
Hey,

To start off, we are supposed to be able to predict how long it will take for water to drain from a specific cup. There are 2 variables in this, the height of the water in the cup (not volume), and the size of the hole in the bottom of the cup.

The data I collected appears to be incorrect and I dont no if ill have another chance to collect data. What I basically wanted to know is either a way to go about solving this problem, or if there was a formula for this.

Thanks
The rate of flow depends on the height of the water in the cup and the size of the hole in the bottom of the cup. But the time it will take for water to drain from a specific cup depends on the volume along with the other variables.