Does Coriolis really cause water to drain one way?

In summary, the water in a basin behaves in a way that is seemingly contradictory to the theory that predicts it will behave based on the Coriolis effect. However, it is more likely that the effect is negligible and that the water is simply flowing in a circular manner due to the movement of the dirt in the bowl.
belliott4488
We've all heard that water spirals down the drain in a clockwise direction in the Southern hemisphere and counter- (or anti-) clockwise in the Northern hemisphere, due to the Coriolis effect from the rotation of the Earth. I've also heard that this is a myth, and that if you calculate the actual forces involved, those due to Coriolis are negligibly small compared to the random perturbations that typically occur in a basin of water that was filled relatively recently (or otherwise disturbed). The latter sounds likely to me, yet the "myth" persists, and moreover, you can see demonstrations of it on YouTube: .

In this video, it appears that the water behaves as advertised, even though the basins are displaced from each other by no more than 10 meters or so. Yet, the one on the North side of the equator drains clockwise, the one on the South the opposite, and most amazingly, the one right on the equator doesn't swirl at all, but just drains straight down the hole!

How can this be? I thought the Coriolis force depended on a change in the radial component of position, but in these cases it's hard to see how that's not completely negligible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The water effect is a myth; Coriolis forces are nowhere near that strong. If you do a forums search, you'll find quite a comprehensive thread about it elsewhere in PF.

If you look at the third "experiment" there is a bit of dirt in the bowl before he let's the plug out. This is already moving in a circular fashion, so it suggests that the water is poured into a bowl in a clever way so that it drains however they want it to.

This is the most common misconception, in my opinion. In the past, no-one has believed me when I tried to argue against it, so I've given up trying now! As danger says, a search of the forums will return a lot of threads on the topic.

Okay, thanks for confirming my suspicions. We can drop this thread, since it's been covered before.

1) Does Coriolis actually influence the direction of draining water?

Yes, Coriolis is a real phenomenon that affects the direction of moving objects on the Earth's surface. However, its influence on the direction of draining water is often overestimated and is not the sole determining factor.

2) Is the direction of draining water always the same in the Northern and Southern hemispheres?

No, the direction of draining water is not always the same in the Northern and Southern hemispheres. Coriolis does have an effect on the direction, but other factors such as the shape of the basin and the initial spinning motion of the water also play a role.

3) Is the Coriolis effect stronger at the equator or at the poles?

The Coriolis effect is strongest at the poles and decreases towards the equator. This is because the rotation of the Earth is faster at the equator and slower at the poles.

4) Can Coriolis cause water to drain in a specific direction in a bathtub or sink?

No, the Coriolis effect is only significant on large scales, such as ocean currents or cyclones. In a small-scale system like a bathtub or sink, other factors such as the shape of the basin and the initial motion of the water will determine the direction of draining.

5) Does the Coriolis effect only apply to water or can it affect other objects as well?

The Coriolis effect can affect the direction of any moving object on the Earth's surface, not just water. It can influence the flight paths of airplanes, the direction of wind patterns, and even the trajectory of a thrown object. However, its effect may be more noticeable in larger, slower-moving objects like ocean currents.