Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Preferred Basis solution in MWI

1. Feb 16, 2017 #1
    For the difficulty of getting a preferred basis in the unitary only MWI. I saw this message by Fredrik:

"If we just let it go, it seems very natural to me to (if we insist on trying to interpret QM as a description of the universe) postulate something like "every 1-dimensional subspace of the Hilbert space of the universe represents a world". This eliminates the preferred basis problem."

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-many-worlds-interpretation-of-qm.676537/page-5

What is your objection to Fredrik solution that "every 1-dimensional subspace of the Hilbert space of the universe represents a world"?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2017 #2

Demystifier

Science Advisor

My objection is that we never observe such 1-dimensional worlds. If the point is to explain our observations, then such an interpretation doesn't help.

4. Feb 18, 2017 #3
    Does 1-dimensional world mean a basis orthogonal to each other? can you please use other words for it that I can look up?

He who calls himself Fredrik (science adviser) was last seen in Dec 24, 2016. Is he still in our branch/world? Hope he is ok.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted