Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pregnant for 46 years

1. Dec 19, 2005 #1

Aether

Gold Member

In case anyone is interested, there is a show on the Discovery Health Channel (right now) about a woman who has been pregnant for 46 years.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Is this a case of where the fetus died and was never expelled? I've read of a couple of cases.

4. Dec 19, 2005 #3
    How can someone be pregent for 46 years and not notice it?

5. Dec 19, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

God that's gross!!! Makes you question humanity! ewwww

6. Dec 19, 2005 #5

JamesU

Gold Member

WTF is this? I actualy changed the channel :grumpy:

how did this happen

7. Dec 19, 2005 #6

Aether

Gold Member

8. Dec 20, 2005 #7
    I agree, but at least as a drake I can walk faster. You can't even fly, silly chicken bird. :cool:

9. Dec 20, 2005 #8

Aether

Gold Member

Yes.

A fertilized egg implanted outside the uterus (occurs in 1/30,000 pregnancies), developed to full term, but wasn't in a position to be expelled; eventually the fetus died and was removed surgically 45 years later. For the mother to survive for so long in this condition is what is rare.

10. Dec 20, 2005 #9
    O_O'''

That's just.... freaky.

11. Dec 20, 2005 #10
    So...why did they wait 45 years?

12. Dec 20, 2005 #11

Aether

Gold Member

The mother was from a 3rd-world country, and wen't to the hospital to give birth but couldn't. She wisely left the hospital in fear that the medical staff weren't competent to handle her condition. From then-on she suffered at home and eventually learned to live with the condition...45+ years later she ended up in a modern hospital where the doctors made an x-ray of the mass in her abdomen and were surprised to find that it was a 7 lb. fetus.

13. Dec 20, 2005 #12
    It all makes soooooo much more sense now. I was thinking it must be some crazy woman who was sure she was on the verge of labor for 45 years straight and didn't see any reason to consult a doctor till it started. Or something.

14. Oct 7, 2010 #13
    This is truly sad because if she had seen a legitimate hospital she could have possibly saved the baby. My heart goes out to this woman.

I realize this is an old post but it still breaks my heart.

15. Oct 7, 2010 #14
    Why didn't the body "reclaim" the mass? Was the fetus tissue still alive?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  16. Oct 7, 2010 #15

Evo

The fetus was probably already dead or would have died since it was ectopic.

Good question on the body reclaiming it, too large perhaps? How she lived with the dead fetus is a miracle.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2010
  17. Oct 7, 2010 #16

JaredJames

Gold Member

Haven't there been cases where someone has been born and had an abnormal growth and when checked by doctors it's turned out to be their twin? Or what should have been, but has developed inside the other sibling.

Not strictly alive, can't remember the exact details, but I know it had hair and teeth.

18. Oct 7, 2010 #17

JaredJames

Gold Member

Here we go: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=2346476&page=1

19. Oct 7, 2010 #18

Evo

Parasitic twin. I recently watched some awful cases. One was a little boy and his twin was perfectly complete, facing him, hugging him from the front, the only problem was that the twins head was buried inside of his chest. The headless twin grew at the same rate as the complete twin, and it's legs even responded to being moved.

Then there was the twin with a parasitic head. The head sucked a pacifier and cried, but there was nothing below the neck, it relied on the first twin to supply it with the nutrition to live.

20. Oct 7, 2010 #19

JaredJames

Gold Member

Yeah, I've seen loads of stuff like that. Not very nice at all. The main ones that got me are the ones such as those in my linked story, where they didn't know it was another body and it had all those features within the other person. Literally, inside the other one like a pregnancy.

21. Oct 8, 2010 #20

Borek

There are even stranger cases when twins combine in much earlier stages of development, and what borns is a chimera (see Lydia Fairchild case).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?