• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Preparation for university level physics

• Schools
  • Thread starter Krisd98
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am about to start a degree in maths and physics in September. I would like to get a first class degree which means starting to prepare for the dregree now. Does anyone have and notes or advice for first year physics , thanks !

Answers and Replies

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I am about to start a degree in maths and physics in September. I would like to get a first class degree which means starting to prepare for the dregree now. Does anyone have and notes or advice for first year physics , thanks !
The mathematics is most critical. One needs to be good with Intermediate Algebra, Trigonometry, and at least first-semester Calculus & Analytic Geometry. (That's for if the degree were just for Physics; and to be able to start.)

Last edited:
The mathematics is most critical. One needs to be good with Intermediate Algebra, Trigonometry, and at least first-semester Calculus & Analytic Geometry. (That's for if the degree were just for Physics; and to be able to start.)
I got an A* in maths I’m great at integration and differentiation I can’t really do trigonometry we didn’t have to do much of it in a level maths

symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
I got an A* in maths I’m great at integration and differentiation I can’t really do trigonometry we didn’t have to do much of it in a level maths
In that case you WILL have great difficulty. You MUST have at least some basic Trigonometry knowledge and you WILL USE IT. Be sure to thoroughly study a 1-semester course on Trigonometry before you begin your first Physics course. You must be knowledgeable and skilled with basic triangle sines, cosines, tangent, and graphs of Trigonometric functions (at least for sines and cosines). Functions for circular waves.

I would maybe get Gelfand: Trigonometry and a run of the mill trigonometry textbook. As symbolipoint pointed out, trigonometry is a must. Maybe going over algebra, geometry, and trigonometry in detail would be better than learning "new math?"

Serge Lang: Basic Mathematics. Covers Pre-calculus in detail.

Good geometry book. I really like the explanation of logic, which leads to proofs.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201050285/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Well written, lacks a bit in the construction department, but you can find constructions on the net.