Preparation for university level physics

In summary: Basic Mathematics. Covers Pre-calculus in detail.Good geometry book. I really like the explanation of logic, which leads to proofs.
Krisd98
I am about to start a degree in maths and physics in September. I would like to get a first class degree which means starting to prepare for the dregree now. Does anyone have and notes or advice for first year physics , thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Krisd98 said:
I am about to start a degree in maths and physics in September. I would like to get a first class degree which means starting to prepare for the dregree now. Does anyone have and notes or advice for first year physics , thanks !
The mathematics is most critical. One needs to be good with Intermediate Algebra, Trigonometry, and at least first-semester Calculus & Analytic Geometry. (That's for if the degree were just for Physics; and to be able to start.)

Last edited:
symbolipoint said:
The mathematics is most critical. One needs to be good with Intermediate Algebra, Trigonometry, and at least first-semester Calculus & Analytic Geometry. (That's for if the degree were just for Physics; and to be able to start.)
I got an A* in maths I’m great at integration and differentiation I can’t really do trigonometry we didn’t have to do much of it in a level maths

Krisd98 said:
I got an A* in maths I’m great at integration and differentiation I can’t really do trigonometry we didn’t have to do much of it in a level maths
In that case you WILL have great difficulty. You MUST have at least some basic Trigonometry knowledge and you WILL USE IT. Be sure to thoroughly study a 1-semester course on Trigonometry before you begin your first Physics course. You must be knowledgeable and skilled with basic triangle sines, cosines, tangent, and graphs of Trigonometric functions (at least for sines and cosines). Functions for circular waves.

Likes jtbell and opus
I would maybe get Gelfand: Trigonometry and a run of the mill trigonometry textbook. As symbolipoint pointed out, trigonometry is a must. Maybe going over algebra, geometry, and trigonometry in detail would be better than learning "new math?"

Serge Lang: Basic Mathematics. Covers Pre-calculus in detail.

Good geometry book. I really like the explanation of logic, which leads to proofs.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201050285/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Well written, lacks a bit in the construction department, but you can find constructions on the net.

1. What topics should I focus on to prepare for university level physics?

To prepare for university level physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus. Other key topics to focus on include classical mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, and waves and optics.

2. What are some good resources for self-studying university level physics?

There are many online resources available for self-studying university level physics. Some popular options include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera. Additionally, textbooks such as "University Physics" by Young and Freedman or "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick are widely used in university courses.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

Practice is key to improving problem-solving skills in physics. Make sure to work through a variety of problems, including both numerical and conceptual ones. Additionally, it can be helpful to break down problems into smaller steps and to use diagrams or visualizations to aid in understanding.

4. Is it necessary to have prior knowledge in physics before starting university?

While having some prior knowledge in physics can be beneficial, it is not necessary. University level physics courses typically start with the fundamentals and build upon them, so as long as you have a strong foundation in math and a willingness to learn, you should be able to succeed.

5. What are some key skills that are important for success in university level physics?

In addition to a strong foundation in math and problem-solving abilities, critical thinking, analytical skills, and the ability to think abstractly are important for success in university level physics. It is also helpful to have good time management and study habits, as physics courses can be challenging and require a significant amount of practice and dedication.