Preparation of alkenes from alcohols

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
ChemDoodle
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
Q. Draw the structure for all possible alkenes & the alcohols from which they can be prepared.

CH3-CH=CH-CH2-CH3 <---- CH3-CHOH-CH2-CH2-CH3

CH2=CH-CH2-CH2-CH3 <---- CH2OH-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3

Both in the presence of H+ & heat.

I also drew Cyclopentanol from which we can prepare Cyclopentene.

Are these all the possible pentenes? And are these equations correct?

Thankyou (:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose they need to have 5 C atoms , as if not the possibilities would be cosmological :P.
 
There is a third pentanol which you have not included.

There are also branched pentenes - but whether they count may depend on the exact wording of the question.

Plus zillions of compounds with other number of carbons :wink:

--
methods
 
Lok said:
I suppose they need to have 5 C atoms , as if not the possibilities would be cosmological :P.
Haha Yeaa..I meant pentenes not alkenes :P :$
 
ChemDoodle said:
Q. Draw the structure for all possible alkenes & the alcohols from which they can be prepared.

CH3-CH=CH-CH2-CH3 <---- CH3-CHOH-CH2-CH2-CH3

CH2=CH-CH2-CH2-CH3 <---- CH2OH-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3

Both in the presence of H+ & heat.

I also drew Cyclopentanol from which we can prepare Cyclopentene.

Are these all the possible pentenes? And are these equations correct?

Thankyou (:

Good so far, but incomplete. For example you can get to CH2=CH-CH2-CH2-CH3 from two precursor alcohols (and you have written them both) and you can get to CH3-CH=CH-CH2-CH3 from two precursor alcohols, one of which you have shown and one is not shown.

And of course there are the isomers that Borek mentioned as well.