1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preparing for Circuits by myself and need some guidance?!

1. Jan 8, 2016 #1
    Hi,

The curriculum for Electrical Engineering at the school where I am going to be studying is the following: (for 1st semester)

Calculus I
    Digitaltechnik (Digital Technology)
    Linear Algebra
    Physics for Electrical engineering
    Circuit Technology I

Currently I am studying a Pre-Calculus book and will soon start studying Calculus I on my own using Online resources alongside a Paperback.

After I am finished with Calculus I will move to Linear Algebra.

The thing is, I know how to study and finish those two subjects but I am lost when it comes to Circuits or Physics for Electrical engineering !! Because this is totally new to me and I have no experience at all with it.

The reason I am studying these subjects before enrolling, is because the school is a top notch in Germany and I am anxious about the study load. And the school follows a policy, in which students shall drop out of the program in case of unsuccessful completion of the first two semesters' exams.
    So I am trying to be well-prepared and would really appreciate some guidance on this.

The physics for the ¹st semester covers the follows:

Physical quantities and units.
    Mechanics.
    Waves and Optics.
    Hydro and Thermodynamics.
    Quantum mechanics and atomic physics.

Do you think I should leave Physics till I enroll? or it's a good idea to get into it from now?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2016 #2
    Studying for physics and EE isn't that much different than studying for Calculus and Linear Algebra; in some way they ought to be easier since you're not looking at the math in an abstract sense and are only using it calculate things relating to the physical phenomena you're studying. The real difference is acquiring physical intuition as well as an ability to translate equations into what they look like from a physics perspective (like a derivative being a rate of change pertaining to position or velocity as a simple example). Once you do that, it'll be relatively simple to translate the words you see in problem statements to equations that can be used to solve the phenomena in question.

Good reference books apart from your textbooks are always good to have; I enjoy the Schaum's outline series since it's written often by textbook authors but all the fat is trimmed off and you get bare bones explanations and examples of what you need to solve problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outline-Physics-Engineering-Science/dp/0071810900

https://www.amazon.com/Schaums-Outl...=_SL500_SR89,135_&refRID=0W7CYS8MRZJQWBKZ19WQ

You might also try playing with some real life circuits yourself if you can, look into Arduino or Raspberry Pi; basic tutorials abound to get you started. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Jan 8, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook