Preparing for Circuits by myself and need some guidance?

In summary: I would recommend getting into physics now and doing some self-study. You can find a lot of online resources and you can also ask your professors for help. Studying for physics and EE isn't that much different than studying for Calculus and Linear Algebra; in some way they ought to be easier since you're not looking at the math in an abstract sense and are only using it calculate things relating to the physical phenomena you're studying. The real difference is acquiring physical intuition as well as an ability to translate equations into what they look like from a physics perspective (like a derivative being a rate of change pertaining to position or velocity as a simple example). Once you do that, it'll be relatively simple to translate the words you see
Donello
Hi,The curriculum for Electrical Engineering at the school where I am going to be studying is the following: (for 1st semester)

Calculus I
Digitaltechnik (Digital Technology)
Linear Algebra
Physics for Electrical engineering
Circuit Technology ICurrently I am studying a Pre-Calculus book and will soon start studying Calculus I on my own using Online resources alongside a Paperback.

After I am finished with Calculus I will move to Linear Algebra.

The thing is, I know how to study and finish those two subjects but I am lost when it comes to Circuits or Physics for Electrical engineering ! Because this is totally new to me and I have no experience at all with it.

The reason I am studying these subjects before enrolling, is because the school is a top notch in Germany and I am anxious about the study load. And the school follows a policy, in which students shall drop out of the program in case of unsuccessful completion of the first two semesters' exams.
So I am trying to be well-prepared and would really appreciate some guidance on this.

The physics for the ¹st semester covers the follows:

Physical quantities and units.
Mechanics.
Waves and Optics.
Hydro and Thermodynamics.
Quantum mechanics and atomic physics.Do you think I should leave Physics till I enroll? or it's a good idea to get into it from now?

Physics news on Phys.org
Donello said:
Hi,The curriculum for Electrical Engineering at the school where I am going to be studying is the following: (for 1st semester)

Calculus I
Digitaltechnik (Digital Technology)
Linear Algebra
Physics for Electrical engineering
Circuit Technology ICurrently I am studying a Pre-Calculus book and will soon start studying Calculus I on my own using Online resources alongside a Paperback.

After I am finished with Calculus I will move to Linear Algebra.

The thing is, I know how to study and finish those two subjects but I am lost when it comes to Circuits or Physics for Electrical engineering ! Because this is totally new to me and I have no experience at all with it.

The reason I am studying these subjects before enrolling, is because the school is a top notch in Germany and I am anxious about the study load. And the school follows a policy, in which students shall drop out of the program in case of unsuccessful completion of the first two semesters' exams.
So I am trying to be well-prepared and would really appreciate some guidance on this.

The physics for the ¹st semester covers the follows:

Physical quantities and units.
Mechanics.
Waves and Optics.
Hydro and Thermodynamics.
Quantum mechanics and atomic physics.Do you think I should leave Physics till I enroll? or it's a good idea to get into it from now?

Studying for physics and EE isn't that much different than studying for Calculus and Linear Algebra; in some way they ought to be easier since you're not looking at the math in an abstract sense and are only using it calculate things relating to the physical phenomena you're studying. The real difference is acquiring physical intuition as well as an ability to translate equations into what they look like from a physics perspective (like a derivative being a rate of change pertaining to position or velocity as a simple example). Once you do that, it'll be relatively simple to translate the words you see in problem statements to equations that can be used to solve the phenomena in question.

Good reference books apart from your textbooks are always good to have; I enjoy the Schaum's outline series since it's written often by textbook authors but all the fat is trimmed off and you get bare bones explanations and examples of what you need to solve problems.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071810900/?tag=pfamazon01-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071830456/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You might also try playing with some real life circuits yourself if you can, look into Arduino or Raspberry Pi; basic tutorials abound to get you started. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Donello

1. What equipment do I need to prepare for circuits by myself?

To prepare for circuits by yourself, you will need basic electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, transistors, and wires. You will also need a breadboard, a power supply, and a multimeter for testing and measuring circuits.

2. Where can I find resources for learning about circuits?

There are many resources available for learning about circuits, such as online tutorials, textbooks, and instructional videos. You can also attend workshops or classes at a local community college or maker space.

3. How do I practice building circuits by myself?

You can start by following circuit diagrams and tutorials for basic circuits, and then gradually move on to more complex circuits. It is also helpful to experiment with different component values and configurations to gain a deeper understanding of how circuits work.

4. How can I troubleshoot and fix circuit errors?

If your circuit is not working as expected, you can use a multimeter to test for continuity, check for loose connections, and verify component values. You can also consult online forums or seek help from experienced circuit builders.

5. How can I ensure my circuits are safe to build and use?

It is important to always use proper safety precautions when working with circuits, such as wearing goggles and avoiding touching live circuits. It is also important to double-check your circuit before applying power and to use appropriate voltage and current ratings for your components.