Preparing for Physics Qualifying Exams

In summary, in order to do well on a qualifying exam, you should practice problems and review key equations.
buffordboy23
This monster will be here soon enough. I know that reviewing past exams and previous coursework is an obvious method, but what about memorizing the content, such key equations? I see that there are a couple different ideas: (1) memorize the important equations, or (2) memorize the derivations of the equations. The second method seems best, because you understand the approximations and limitations imposed on the resultant equations. Do you guys (or girls) think the second method is feasible, or needed to perform well? How have you guys approached this aspect of the preparation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never seen a qualifying exam where (1) would be enough to pass. (2) is more likely to help.

Practice, practice, practice. I did about 1000 problems in the year before my qualifiers. I aced them after all was said and done.

Gotta agree with Dr. Transport and Vanadium 50. Really the best way to study for the qual is to do as many practice problems as humanly possible, and maybe read a few pages out of the textbooks if you really have to. Last summer when I was studying, I basically came into the office at 9 am, and did qual problems until 5 or 6 pm (my advisor was nice enough to pay me anyway). I think the only derivation I ever memorized was the one for the first order energy perturbation in quantum mechanics, and even then it was because there was a practice problem on it.

Does your department give you access to old qualifying exams? If so, that's really the only major tool you need. Your books from undergrad might be helpful too, but I wouldn't waste too much time on that.

1. What is the best way to prepare for Physics qualifying exams?

The best way to prepare for Physics qualifying exams is to start early and review your lecture notes and textbook regularly. It is also important to practice solving problems and work through past exams to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions that may be asked.

2. How should I organize my study materials for Physics qualifying exams?

Organizing your study materials can be helpful in staying organized and focused. Consider creating a study schedule and breaking down topics into smaller, manageable chunks. Create flashcards or summary sheets for key concepts and equations. Also, make sure to keep all your notes and practice problems in one place for easy reference.

3. How do I know which topics to focus on for Physics qualifying exams?

It is important to review all topics covered in your Physics courses, but you may also want to prioritize topics that you struggle with or are weighted heavily on the exam. Review your syllabus and past exams to get a better understanding of what may be covered on the exam.

4. Are there any online resources or study groups that can help with preparing for Physics qualifying exams?

Yes, there are many online resources and study groups that can be helpful in preparing for Physics qualifying exams. Some popular resources include Khan Academy, Physics Forums, and StudyBlue. Additionally, forming a study group with classmates can be beneficial in discussing and reviewing material together.

5. How can I manage test anxiety when preparing for Physics qualifying exams?

Test anxiety is common, but there are strategies you can use to manage it. Make sure to get plenty of rest and eat well before the exam. Practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing or visualization. Also, avoid cramming and give yourself enough time to review and feel confident in your knowledge.