Preparing myself for Grad School Applications

In summary, as you prepare for graduate school applications, it's important to have a strong academic record and research experience in your desired field. It's also valuable to build relationships with professors who can write strong letters of recommendation. Don't put all your focus on one top choice school, but have backups as well. Best of luck in your future endeavors!
king vitamin
Science Advisor
Gold Member
To introduce, I'm a third-year physics student at the University of Texas (Austin). As with most undergraduate physics students I've started to stress about applying to graduate school as I see friends of mine start to prepare for it. I'm actually not applying this year, but next year - I could potentially graduate this spring since I am further ahead than I expected, but I've decided to graduate later so I could do some resume boosting before I begin applications.

So to the meat of my question - what are the best ways to prepare myself for applying to grad schools? I read ZapperZ's excellent post of the track of becoming a physicist, and it contained a lot of interesting information, although one thing it mentioned seemed to conflict with what I've heard my peers saying; he seemed to indicate that you don't choose your research interests and topics until after graduate exams at the end of your second year. From what I've observed, most of my friends seem to be actively attempting to research in the field they wish to someday work in, and they plan to apply to graduate school with such interests in mind, and find specific groups they would like to work with.

I personally was a little late in getting into doing research, just starting February this year, and I've started frantically putting together a resume, which I would like to use to apply to a research internship next summer asap. I was talking to a friend of mine today who just returned from a summer at Los Alamos and he seemed surprised that I was so worried because he knows that I would eventually like to do theory. He told me I should just get an awesome grade on the GRE and keep up my 4.0 and I shouldn't be worried. This seemed to conflict with all the talk I've heard about research being everything in graduate admissions. He also added that a good way is to contact somebody working in a subject I liked at my top choice and trying to get to know them, which seems risky.

I've been doing research with the plasma physics group here, but so far it's been rather unrewarding - mostly grunt work with a little bit of spectroscopy. I got the job because a professor recommended me, but I'm pretty sure experimental plasma physics is not what I would want to do in grad school. A few of my academic honors: I have a 4.0 GPA and I've completed 95 hours (I need 126 to graduate), I'm an "LA" for an intro physics class for engineers (like a junior TA), and I also received a very prestigious scholarship from UT this year which was only offered to two physics students.

My top choice school is Columbia University, but knowing that banking on one school is a folly, I really just want to be able to get into one of the top-tier schools in the country (though i'll have backups obviously). I've attached a bit of my resume I'm writing (it's tentative because I don't know what my research will be this semester). What is my best path? Should I attempt to work with someone closer to where my interests lie? Should I stick with plasma physics and try to get my name on a paper, even if it's not a field I would be interested in pursuing after I'm done?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Attachments

• saferesume.pdf
    43.8 KB · Views: 247
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow physics student,

First of all, congratulations on your academic achievements so far! It sounds like you are well on your way to a successful career in physics. As a scientist with experience in both academia and industry, I can offer some advice on how to prepare for graduate school applications.

First and foremost, it's important to have a strong academic record, which you already have with your 4.0 GPA and prestigious scholarship. Keep up the good work and aim for a high score on the GRE. However, as your friend mentioned, research experience is also highly valued in graduate admissions. It's great that you have started doing research, but it's important to find a project that truly interests you and allows you to develop skills that will be useful in graduate school.

I agree with your friend's suggestion of contacting someone working in a subject you are interested in at your top choice school. This is not a risky move, but rather a proactive one. You can ask questions about their research and express your interest in potentially working with them in the future. This can also help you determine if their research aligns with your interests and if the program is a good fit for you.

In terms of your current research, it's important to have some experience in the field you want to pursue in graduate school. However, it's also valuable to have a diverse background in different areas of physics. If you feel that your current research is not aligned with your interests, it may be worth exploring other opportunities, such as working with a different research group or seeking out a summer research internship in your desired field.

In addition to academic and research experience, it's also important to have strong letters of recommendation from professors or mentors who can speak to your potential as a graduate student and researcher. This is where your role as an "LA" and your scholarship can also be beneficial, as you can develop relationships with professors who can write strong letters of recommendation for you.

Lastly, don't put all your eggs in one basket. It's great to have a top choice school, but make sure you have backups as well. Apply to a variety of programs that align with your interests and have a good reputation in your desired field of study.

Overall, my advice is to continue excelling academically, gain research experience in your desired field, and build strong relationships with professors who can write strong letters of recommendation. Best of luck in your future endeavors and I have no doubt that you will have a successful graduate

What are the basic requirements for grad school applications?

The basic requirements for grad school applications vary depending on the program and university, but generally include a completed undergraduate degree, transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE or GMAT).

When should I start preparing for grad school applications?

It is recommended to start preparing for grad school applications at least a year in advance. This will give you enough time to research programs, take any necessary exams, and gather all required materials.

What can I do to make my application stand out?

To make your application stand out, you can focus on areas such as research experience, relevant internships or work experience, and strong letters of recommendation. Additionally, having a well-written personal statement that highlights your strengths and goals can make a big impact on the admissions committee.

Do I need to have a specific major or undergraduate degree to apply for grad school?

No, most graduate programs do not require a specific major or undergraduate degree. However, you may need to have completed certain prerequisite courses or have relevant experience in the field of study you are applying for.

What resources are available to help me prepare for grad school applications?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for grad school applications, such as online guides and resources provided by universities, admissions counselors, and career centers. You can also reach out to current grad students or alumni for advice and guidance.