Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Prerequisite for understanding QCD

1. Sep 24, 2016 #1
    I know there is more than one approach in studying strong interaction, a geometric one based on gauge theories and one based on quantum field theory. In both of them I would like to know which topics I have to study in order to understand this theory, for example my knowledge of quantum physics consists in the Schrodinger equation and in its solutions in different situations. I am more interested in the geometric approach, but surely I will not have an all-embracing view until I will know the latter one. I would like to understand in particular the confinement and the asymptotic freedom. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2016 #2

thierrykauf

Gold Member

Quantum field theory is what you need. Lagrangian formulation, how to write a gauge invariant Lagrangian, gauge fixing and quantization, Fadeev-Popov ghosts, renormalization, beta function and asymptotic freedom, massive gauge bosons and confinement. You might want to start with QED.

4. Sep 24, 2016 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The QFT that describes the strong interaction is a gauge theory. I don't see where you expect a second approach.

The usuall approach is nonrelativistic quantum mechanics -> relativistic quantum mechanics -> QED -> QCD.

5. Sep 24, 2016 #4
    Ok, thank you all, I think I'm going to buy Landau's books and study them during the next two years.
    Regards

6. Sep 24, 2016 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But there is no geometry in Landau's books. The 4th volume of the series contains a thorough treatment of quantum electrodynamics. For QCD, though, try the Greiner series, especially the symmetry text in quantum mechanics is a must read before any quantum field theory reading.

7. Sep 24, 2016 #6
    Thank you, I will have a look at Greiner texts.

8. Sep 25, 2016 #7

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

I strongly suggest to take the modern way and leave out "relativistic quantum mechanics". The true way to describe relativistic QT is QFT :-). As introductory book, I recommend

M. D. Schwartz, Introduction to quantum field theory and the standard model, Cambridge University Press 2014.

9. Sep 25, 2016 #8
    It looks like a very difficult book, but I will study it little by little, thanks.

10. Sep 25, 2016 #9

ChrisVer

Gold Member

what about Weinberg's two vollumes on QFT?

11. Sep 25, 2016 #10

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  12. Sep 25, 2016 #11
    I have two of Greiner's books, RQM and QED. They are both excellent books. I will get the QCD book after digesting these two.

13. Sep 25, 2016 #12
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  14. Sep 25, 2016 #13

ChrisVer

Gold Member

Tiring one, but I think it's an introductory book like Griffith's... a more advanced textbook should be best (Like Sakurai's or Balentine's)

15. Sep 25, 2016 #14
    I will consult them.

16. Sep 25, 2016 #15

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

If you really want a thorough and long (oh so long :-D ) route there are no other books better than Zelevinsky's and Cohen Tannoudji's books on QM. (Zelevinsky also covers quantum chaos). There's also the book by Gurtzwiller which I have (hardcover) but didn't find the time to read.

I took three courses in QM and one course in QFT (the continuation of which I am taking this coming academic year), for the most courses I didn't find the time to read the books since it mostly was lectured already in class (but I am sure these books are self contained and contain all you need to know and more on QM).

For QFT there are so many books to read, I finished reading Srednicki's book but I know other books which I plan to read further on the road.

BTW, I am not sure but QFT and QC (quantum chaos) are different subjects, shouldn't there be a unified theme between the two?

It's interseting that macroscopically nature is chaotic while in QM there's no such chaos as in determinstic chaos in classical physics.
    I tried searchig for chaotic field theory and all I found is this link:
    http://www.cns.gatech.edu/~predrag/papers/hkPubl.pdf

and the book by Biro which I have.

Didn't find the time to read them though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted