Preserving Snow from January to June: The Science & Tactics

• Thread starter Wrongfellow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the conversation revolves around the desire to preserve snow from January until June and the difficulties in achieving this due to the physical processes of snow turning into ice in the freezer. The individual tried sealing the snow in a plastic bag, but it still turned to ice. Other potential factors such as the freezer's temperature and defrosting cycles are discussed. One solution proposed is to put the ice in a blender before using it as a snowball. It is also mentioned that Calvin from the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes" has successfully preserved snow in a blender.
Wrongfellow
When the last snow fell I picked some up and put it in the freezer,
sealed in a plastic bag to keep moisture out. I hoped I'd be able to
get it out in the summer and throw a snowball at someone on the
hottest day of the year.

It didn't work. After a few months in the freezer the snow turned to
ice, and throwing a lump of ice at somebody isn't funny.

Basically I'd like to be able to preserve a handful of snow from
January until June, and be able to get it out again in the same fluffy
condition it was in when I picked it up. How can I achieve this?

What physical processes are responsible for turning the snow to ice?
I thought I'd protected it against moisture from the air, by sealing
the snow in a plastic "zip lock" bag. Maybe my freezer isn't cold
enough? How cold does it need to be?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem most likely arises from your freezer going through defrosting cycles. It gets just warm enough for the snow to melt slightly but not enough for things kept in the freezer to thaw. Then when the freezer goes back into normal mode, the slightly wet snow refreezes into a solid mass.

There's a potential problem even if the freezer doesn't ever get above 0°C. Equilibrium between the frozen snow and the water vapor in the bag means that ice will continually sublimate and condense while the snowball sits in the freezer. And there's no guarantee that the new ice crystals will form as light, fluffy snowflakes. In fact, it seems more likely that they'll deposit layers of solid ice.

Put it in a blender when you want to toss it at someone.

1. How can snow be preserved for such a long period of time?

Snow can be preserved for a long period of time through a combination of proper storage techniques and the use of additives that prevent melting and preserve the snow's texture and color.

2. What are the most effective tactics for preserving snow?

The most effective tactics for preserving snow include packing the snow tightly and covering it with a layer of insulation, such as hay or sawdust, to prevent heat from reaching it. Additionally, adding a small amount of salt or sand to the snow can also help slow down melting.

3. How does temperature affect the preservation of snow?

Temperature plays a crucial role in the preservation of snow. Snow should be stored at temperatures below freezing (32°F or 0°C) to prevent melting. The ideal temperature for preserving snow is between 0°F (-18°C) and 10°F (-12°C).

4. Can snow be preserved in any type of container?

While snow can be preserved in a variety of containers, it is important to choose a container that is well-insulated and tightly sealed to prevent heat from reaching the snow. Some examples of effective containers include coolers, cardboard boxes lined with plastic, or plastic storage bins.

5. Are there any additives that can be used to preserve snow?

Yes, there are several additives that can be used to preserve snow. One common additive is salt, which lowers the freezing point of water and helps prevent melting. Another popular additive is a polymer-based snow preservative, which can be sprayed onto the snow to form a thin layer that helps maintain its texture and color.