Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News President Barack Obama answers questions on Reddit

1. Aug 29, 2012 #1
    Reddit's administrators and moderators confirmed it's really the President answering questions. Here's the link: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1c9z/i_am_barack_obama_president_of_the_united_states/

This was an interesting response, to a very important question:
    Q: What are you going to do to end the corrupting influence of money in politics during your second term?

A: "Money has always been a factor in politics, but we are seeing something new in the no-holds barred flow of seven and eight figure checks, most undisclosed, into super-PACs; they fundamentally threaten to overwhelm the political process over the long run and drown out the voices of ordinary citizens. We need to start with passing the Disclose Act that is already written and been sponsored in Congress - to at least force disclosure of who is giving to who. We should also pass legislation prohibiting the bundling of campaign contributions from lobbyists. Over the longer term, I think we need to seriously consider mobilizing a constitutional amendment process to overturn Citizens United (assuming the Supreme Court doesn't revisit it). Even if the amendment process falls short, it can shine a spotlight of the super-PAC phenomenon and help apply pressure for change."

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2012 #2
    Am I the only one that thinks this is awesome?

4. Aug 29, 2012 #3

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Topher925, I think this is awsome, too. To read the President's responses, verbatim, is really great.

5. Aug 30, 2012 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Clever move to appeal to his base and make sure they vote. Reddit is liberal dominant, I wonder if he can pick up any swing votes this way.

All the questions and answers (wonder how many of these promises he'll actually fulfill though...)

6. Aug 30, 2012 #5
    tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

7. Aug 30, 2012 #6
    This is such such SUCH an important issue. The number one thing that is wrong with American politics IMO.

I'm glad he addressed this, and I like his response.

8. Aug 31, 2012 #7
    What a bunch of garbage! This is the same guy that passed up public funding so he could raise more money using his machine. From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama_presidential_campaign,_2008 "Barack Obama's fundraising broke previous records for presidential primary and general campaigns, and has changed expectations for future presidential elections. The campaign avoided using public campaign funds, raising all of its money privately from individual donors. By the general election the campaign committee raised more than $650 million for itself, and coordinated with both the Democratic National Committee (DNC) and at least 18 state-level Democratic committees to create a joint-fundraising committee to raise and split tens of millions of dollars more."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_McCain#2008_presidential_campaign "McCain accepted public financing for the general election campaign, and the restrictions that go with it, while criticizing his Democratic opponent for becoming the first major party candidate to opt out of such financing for the general election since the system was implemented in 1976."

I guess it big money from Soros, Moveon, etc. is ok when it's to Obama's benefit. This guy is such a two faced jerk.

9. Aug 31, 2012 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I would like it better if it was actually going to lead to anything getting DONE, but I'm confident that it won't because politicians are addicted to money and they are not going to give it up.

10. Aug 31, 2012 #9
    Yes, by far the most important issue IMO, currently most politicians are working for the donors and not the people. But I didn't like his response much, I'd like if he said he'd make this a top priority. Instead, he said "we should pass legislation" and talked of passing a constitutional amendment in the long-term... Those are very weak words for a President who usually is assertive in what he says, so my guess is that he won't do anything about this issue.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook