Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Ahmadinejad's speech at Durban II

1. Apr 21, 2009 #1
    The following is the speech of the Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad at the Durban Review Conference on racism in Geneva on April 20.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2009 #2
    And here are the walkouts..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8008572.stm

4. Apr 21, 2009 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks like even the ambassador from Clownland walked out.

5. Apr 21, 2009 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I am deeply ashamed that Norways foreign minister, Mr. Gahr Støre chose to remain at this scandalous conference.

He is jubilant over his own "bravery" at remaining there, in contrast to those cowardly representatives who walked out.

6. Apr 21, 2009 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So the consensus is that Ahmadinejad doesn't like Isreal.
    You don't think he was just trying to get a better deal on a timeshare in Eilat then?

7. Apr 21, 2009 #6
    I think the decision to walk out is simply childish. One does not have to be in agreement to stay and listen.

8. Apr 21, 2009 #7
    To sit and listen expresses an accceptance that many did not wish to express.

9. Apr 21, 2009 #8
    So, we should only listen to things that we like.

10. Apr 21, 2009 #9
    I don't think Arman was going to say anything new. If so, there will be footage of it. Walking out, as a form of expression has been around for some time.

Armani made his statement. Others made a statement in reply.

11. Apr 21, 2009 #10
    The point is not to refuse to listen in principle. The point is, when you know somebody, when you have listened this person already many times, when you have calmly tried to express your disagreement, and never obtain an inch of progress, after all this time has elapsed, there remains two options : violence or end of the discussion. Let us be happy that we have now an "end of discussion" and let's consider how we can avoid the other possibility.

12. Apr 21, 2009 #11
    Then, why those clowns were there in the first place. Or, how they are different from the Iraqi who threw shoes at Bush?

13. Apr 21, 2009 #12

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's theatre.

Walk out = you are Iran's enemy and you want the people back home to know it

Stay (brown skin) = you are on Iran's side or you want your electorate / the Generals back home to know you are standing upto America

Stay (white skin) = you aren't on Iran's side, but you want the electorate / the newspapers back home to know you aren't an American puppet.

Stay (very white skin) = you are from a Scandinavian country that is trying to maintain an image of being fair balanced and impartial. You really don't get paid enough for sitting through this stuff and you should bring an iPod to connect to the translation headphones.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  14. Apr 21, 2009 #13
    Who says they are different ? Their difference is probably on which side they clown around, but that's not really a difference, it's just circumstances.

15. Apr 21, 2009 #14
    I think we have to listen and answer, even people like Ahmadinejad. He wants to create an "us against the rest"-mentality, and by walking out, he obtains what he wants. If we're not even willing to listen to each other, we'll never find a solution to the middle east conflicts. I don't agree that listening expresses accepting, and everyone who heard Støre answering Ahmadinejad, understand that he deeply disagrees with Iran's leader.

16. Apr 21, 2009 #15

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Given your hypothesis, are you sure that "confronting him" isn't what he wants? :tongue:

17. Apr 21, 2009 #16
    What is Clownland?

18. Apr 21, 2009 #17
    That would be the second choice, because he's not able to defend his views.

19. Apr 21, 2009 #18
    Excuse me but I don't follow. The alternative to not walking out is violence? What?!

20. Apr 21, 2009 #19
    Just putting them together so that people who walked out simply don't get defended because Ahmadinejad was at the stage (not Bush).

21. Apr 21, 2009 #20
    I understand your point. I myself would have thrown worse at other presidents as well, so it could not have been obvious to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook