Pressure=force/area - cannot arrive at correct answer?

• Thread starter teggenspiller
  • Start date
In summary, the pressure exerted on the snow by a person weighing 900 N standing on snowshoes with an area of 2500 cm2 each is 1800 Pa, calculated using the formula P = F/A. The mistake made was using the incorrect conversion of 1 cm = 0.01 m, resulting in an area of 0.25 m2 instead of 25 m2.
teggenspiller
pressure=force/area -- cannot arrive at correct answer!?

Homework Statement

A person of weight of 900 N is standing on snowshoes. Each snowshoe has area 2500 cm2. Find the pressure on the snow.

A. 0.18 Pa
B. 0.36 Pa
C. 1800 Pa
D. 3600 Pa

Wrong Points Earned: 0/1
Correct Answer: C
Your B

Homework Equations

P=F/a

The Attempt at a Solution

P= 900N/25m^2

and i keep getting 36. how do i get to 1800??

i understand there are 2 snow shoes, how is that relevant to finding the area? and why am i 100 off?

Physics news on Phys.org

1 cm = .01 m

so 2500cm^2 = 25 m^2

what am i doing wrong>

2500 (cm^2) = 0.25 m^2

well duhh, teggenspiller. thank you SO very much for clearing that up!

As a scientist, it is important to carefully analyze the given information and equations to arrive at the correct answer. In this case, the equation for pressure, P=F/A, is correct. The person's weight of 900 N is the force (F) and the area of each snowshoe is 2500 cm2 or 0.25 m2. However, the question is asking for the pressure on the snow, not on each individual snowshoe. Therefore, the total area is 2(0.25 m2) = 0.5 m2. Plugging this into the equation, we get P= 900 N/0.5 m2 = 1800 Pa. It is important to pay attention to the given information and carefully interpret the question to arrive at the correct answer.

1. What is pressure and how is it calculated?

Pressure is defined as the force exerted per unit area. It is calculated by dividing the force applied by the area over which it is distributed. The formula for calculating pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area.

2. How is pressure related to force and area?

Pressure is directly proportional to force and inversely proportional to area. This means that as force increases, pressure also increases, and as area increases, pressure decreases.

3. Can pressure exist without force or area?

No, pressure cannot exist without either force or area. Force is necessary to create pressure, and area is necessary to distribute the force over a specific region.

4. What is the SI unit for pressure?

The SI unit for pressure is the pascal (Pa). However, other commonly used units for pressure include pounds per square inch (psi), atmospheres (atm), and millimeters of mercury (mmHg).

5. How does pressure affect objects?

Pressure can have various effects on objects depending on the type of force and the area over which it is applied. For example, high pressure can cause objects to compress or deform, while low pressure can cause them to expand or break apart. Pressure can also affect the movement and behavior of fluids and gases.