Pressure vs. neck shortening of a balloon

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between pressure and "neck" shortening in a balloon, as an analogy for the shortening of the cervix in the human womb. The goal is to create equations connecting the cervix length, overall thickness, womb radius, and material properties, in order to predict the new length of the cervix based on the pressure inside the balloon. The use of Laplace's/Pascal's law is not feasible due to the non-negligible thickness.
dislect
Pressure vs. "neck" shortening of a balloon

I swear this is not a homework question :approve:

The purpose of this question is to simulate the shortening of the cervix ("neck") as a result of the increase of pressure -> volume of the female womb.

I would like to come up with a set of equations connecting between the:
1. cervix ("neck") length - shown as 40mm and 25mm in pics
2. overall thickness - shown as 15mm in pics
3. womb radius - shown as 100mm and 105mm in pics (random approximate numbers)
4. material properties (young's modulus, yield strength, density if relevant)

We can assume the:
a. Thickness stays approximately constant
b. material properties stays constant

So in theory I would be able to input the pressure inside the balloon and receive the cervix "neck" new length (shortening) as a result of the balloon inflating and taking away from that neck's length.

I would love someone to guide me and send me the right way. I can't really use laplace's/pascal law because the thickness is not negligible.

Thanks a lot!

Pics for demonstration

image.jpg

image.jpg

laplaceslaw.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Are we talking about people or balloons? Your post is confusing.

SteamKing said:
Are we talking about people or balloons? Your post is confusing.

Balloon is the analogy simplification of the human womb.
Let's stick with balloons.

Sorry, don't see the similarity.

http://www.shinesa.org.au/images/dmImage/SourceImage/Stages-of-pregancy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

What is pressure vs. neck shortening of a balloon?

Pressure vs. neck shortening of a balloon is a phenomenon that occurs when air is blown into a balloon. The pressure of the air inside the balloon causes the neck of the balloon to shorten, or become smaller in diameter.

What causes the neck of a balloon to shorten under pressure?

The neck of a balloon shortens under pressure because the molecules of air inside the balloon are pushing against the walls of the balloon, causing it to expand. This expansion puts pressure on the neck of the balloon, causing it to constrict and become smaller in diameter.

How does the material of a balloon affect pressure vs. neck shortening?

The material of a balloon can affect pressure vs. neck shortening in a few ways. A thicker balloon material may be able to withstand higher pressures before the neck begins to shorten. A more elastic material may allow the neck to stretch more before shortening occurs.

What is the relationship between pressure and neck shortening in a balloon?

The relationship between pressure and neck shortening in a balloon is direct. As the pressure inside the balloon increases, the neck will shorten in response. Similarly, if the pressure decreases, the neck will become longer.

Are there any practical applications for understanding pressure vs. neck shortening of a balloon?

Yes, understanding pressure vs. neck shortening of a balloon can have practical applications in various fields such as engineering, materials science, and even in everyday activities like blowing up balloons for parties. It can help us understand the behavior of different materials under pressure and how they may be used in different applications.