Pricing and Worth of Rare Books: Seeking Advice

• Thread starter impendingChaos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the options for rare books are plentiful, but it is important to do your research before making a purchase.
impendingChaos
A quick query, I collect rare books and am looking into making another purchase.
Does anyone know what this is:
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=17-9781135549800-0
perhaps an old magazine or something, and if you know what it is does anyone know its current worth and/or if that price is reasonable.
Same question on reasonable price for:
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=16-9781135432744-0
or
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=4-9781114523142-1
or
http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=17-9781135537135-0 (i question this since onle 140 for 11 books seems like they must not be very lucrative)

I will purchase one of the above just need to see if anyone has any input before I decide, I try to do research before I make an investment.
Thanks,
Mikael

Physics news on Phys.org
hm...

If your looking to make it a investment, pay special mind to the condition, and edition. Physics books will not jump a whole lot in price over the course of your lifetime, so make sure you buy what you like. My personal choice would be, Physical Papers of Henry Augustus Rowland, First Edition. I find the price is at the high end, tho it is a hard book to find in good condition.

Thats the spirit, I only buy what I really enjoy. That way I'm not so worried about the price. My best deals have come from second hand stores, or places that don't deal in books. they honestly didn't know what they had.

Thats a really good point about second hand stores. Only thing I have access too is garage-style sales, there is a saddening dearth of second-hand dealers in my area so online is my main source of literature.

Related to Pricing and Worth of Rare Books: Seeking Advice

1. What factors determine the pricing of rare books?

The pricing of rare books is determined by a combination of factors, including the book's rarity, condition, age, popularity, and demand. Other factors that may influence pricing include the author's reputation, historical significance, and provenance.

2. How can I determine the worth of a rare book?

The worth of a rare book can be determined by researching its market value through sources such as auction records, book price guides, and expert appraisals. It is also helpful to compare prices of similar books and consider the book's condition and rarity.

3. Are there any red flags to watch out for when buying a rare book?

Yes, there are several red flags to watch out for when buying a rare book. These include poor condition, missing pages or illustrations, incorrect edition or printing, and signs of forgery or fake signatures. It is important to thoroughly research the book and seller before making a purchase.

4. Is it worth investing in rare books?

Investing in rare books can be worth it if you have a strong knowledge of the book market and are able to carefully select valuable and in-demand books. However, it is important to note that the value of rare books can fluctuate and there is always a risk involved in any type of investment.

5. How can I preserve the value of my rare books?

To preserve the value of your rare books, it is important to store them in a cool, dry, and stable environment away from direct sunlight and moisture. Avoid handling the books too often and use acid-free materials for storage. It is also recommended to seek professional conservation and restoration services if needed.