Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prime factorization of rationals

1. Jul 6, 2008 #1
    It occurred to me that the rationals Q have also a unique prime factorization, as long as you allow negative exponents on the factorization.

If a/b is a rational, then both a and b have a unique (integer) prime factorization, and the fraction can be expressed uniquely as a product of primes, raised to the difference of the exponents found in the respective prime factors of a and b. Note that a/b does not even need to be reduced for this to work.

I find this a beautiful idea, but I ignore how to use it further, or what else can be constructed using it.

Edit: oops, except for zero... bye-bye to groups, rings, fields...

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2008 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Good news: this idea is useful. What you've done is come very close to discovering non-archimedian norms, which leads to the study of p-adic anlysis.

Bad news: you can't call it prime factorisation, since everything is a unit.

4. Jul 6, 2008 #3
    Thanks, Matt. What do you mean, everything is a unit?

5. Jul 6, 2008 #4

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Evey nonzero rational has a reciprocal that is a nonzero rational. In general, a 'unit' is a member of a ring which has a multiplicative inverse in the ring.

6. Jul 6, 2008 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And (unique) prime factorisations, when they exist, are only ever defined 'up to units'. It is just about not mixing and matching your definitions, that's all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?