1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Print ViewSimultaneous Measurements of Position and Velocity

1. Nov 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The x coordinate of an electron is measured with an uncertainty of 0.200 mm. What is v_x, the x component of the electron's velocity, if the minimum percentage uncertainty in a simultaneous measurement of v_x is 1.00 %? Use the following expression for the uncertainty principle:

(Delta x * Delta p_x )> or = h/2pi,

where Delta x is the uncertainty in the x coordinate of a particle, Delta p_x is the particle's uncertainty in the x component of momentum, and where h is Planck's constant.

My attempt:

delta p_x = h/(2pi*delta x)

delta p_x=m* delta v_x ??

i dnt know if i am allowed to do this.. also if it is allowed i dont know what to do next..
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2008 #2
    So far so good! Now the other thing you have been given is that delta v_x is 1% of v_x.
  4. Nov 22, 2008 #3
    Ok im gonna try it
    Thanks a lot!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?