Prisoners Taunting Victims via Facebook

• Thread starter DoggerDan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of inmates having access to the internet and social media while serving their sentences. The participants express their concerns about the potential for these inmates to harass and victimize others through these platforms. They also discuss the purpose of prisons and the treatment of inmates, with differing opinions on the effectiveness of different approaches. Overall, the conversation highlights the need for caution and consideration when it comes to allowing inmates access to technology and the internet.
DoggerDan
This is interesting: http://news.yahoo.com/inmates-harass-victims-via-facebook-081733468.html

What I find most interesting is that convicted criminals serving out their sentence have unfettered access to the Internet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most know my opinion on this so I won't bore you with it again, I will simply say to keep from being victimized, exploited, possibly robbed, stalked, let's see... what other evils have I missed, delete your FB account and walk away. You will be a better person for having done so, and be safer too.

Rhody... :grumpy:

DoggerDan said:
What I find most interesting is that convicted criminals serving out their sentence have unfettered access to the Internet.
They don't. The article says their cell phones are smuggled in and confiscated when found.

The women's rights movement experienced the same thing with battered women. Not only their ex would seek them out online, but every misogynist in the world would search online for vulnerable women to troll making it difficult to create online support groups. Their solution was to organize such groups consensually and rotate moderators among all the members. Give them the slightest excuse to boot you from the listserve or website and they will.

rhody said:
Most know my opinion on this so I won't bore you with it again, I will simply say to keep from being victimized, exploited, possibly robbed, stalked, let's see... what other evils have I missed, delete your FB account and walk away. You will be a better person for having done so, and be safer too.

Rhody... :grumpy:

The whole point of prisons is to keep the malicious members away from the general population (I think). I hate Facebook with a passion, but people should feel relatively safe to use it (if not safe from the general public, then certainly safe from their past abusers who are in jail).

FlexGunship said:
The whole point of prisons is to keep the malicious members away from the general population (I think). I hate Facebook with a passion, but people should feel relatively safe to use it (if not safe from the general public, then certainly safe from their past abusers who are in jail).
I agree Flex, perhaps they should coin a new term for the person being victimized, using "virtually victimized" instead. Just because the person being harassed is not in the presense of the perpetrator, it does not mean they are not subject to any less stress in the form of taunts, threats, etc... that jailbird may inflict on them. The person being harassed can block them. However, because they will always feel threatened, they have to check the jailbird's postings periodically to see if they need to take further precautions in the event that he is released. A bad situation, only exacerbated by the ease at which threats can be made.

Rhody...

Well, the solace of jail comes from knowing that the jailed individual can't interact with you. This seems to remove that solace. Further, it reminds you that they haven't forgotten you.

I know that in certain states USA is more tough on this but in the uk omg they get luxury not only do they get access to computers and internet, some are given play stations and xbox's and one of our worst Rose West has her own private room with an en-suite bathroom and even can have pets

They can always harass by mailing a letter or through their friends network.

Unless someone was convicted for breaching internet related laws, I don't see why they shouldn't have "unfettered access" to the internet.As for providing entertainment to prisoners, be aware that there are multiple opinions/views on how the criminals should be treated and which approach would be most beneficial to the overall society. Many people argue that criminals should be given tough treatment based only on morality/emotions but to my knowledge I have never seen anyone coming up with a substantial evidence why that will be the best approach at hands.

Last edited:
tashalustig said:
I know that in certain states USA is more tough on this but in the uk omg they get luxury not only do they get access to computers and internet, some are given play stations and xbox's and one of our worst Rose West has her own private room with an en-suite bathroom and even can have pets
And what newspaper did you swallow that from? I have no doubt that there are prisons in the country that have recreation rooms with things like this but it's hardly fair or accurate to portray prison as some sort of hotel. Some prisons are pretty awful places full of awful people, others are full of petty criminals which can potentially be turned into functioning members of society through counselling, training etc. The last thing anyone wants is high recidivist rates.
FlexGunship said:
There are other purposes;

1) To give a sense of satisfaction to society that a criminal is receiving a punishment

2) To prevent inmates committing crime in future

3) To act as a deterrent to would-be criminals

I've yet to see a prison that can satisfy all of these criteria. Often a prison that aims to fulfil option 2 often get's a reputation (perhaps unfairly) for failing at 1 and 3. A prison that succeeds in accomplishing 1 can be pretty rubbish at 2 etc

Ryan_m_b said:
And what newspaper did you swallow that from? I have no doubt that there are prisons in the country that have recreation rooms with things like this but it's hardly fair or accurate to portray prison as some sort of hotel. Some prisons are pretty awful places full of awful people, others are full of petty criminals which can potentially be turned into functioning members of society through counselling, training etc. The last thing anyone wants is high recidivist rates.

There are other purposes;

1) To give a sense of satisfaction to society that a criminal is receiving a punishment

2) To prevent inmates committing crime in future

3) To act as a deterrent to would-be criminals

I've yet to see a prison that can satisfy all of these criteria. Often a prison that aims to fulfil option 2 often get's a reputation (perhaps unfairly) for failing at 1 and 3. A prison that succeeds in accomplishing 1 can be pretty rubbish at 2 etc

Well ok let me re-phrase; a lot of prisoners who are considered to have behaved properly get rewarded with such luxury and all this also depends on classification. Rose west in in Broadmoor where we put those who are deemed to be too dangerous to ever be released and are mainly the psychopaths and sociopaths, however a lot of funding goes their way and for good behaviour they get a lot of perks. It is true that here we are not as tough as some think on prisoners and a bill is currently underway for them to be able to vote, i am not referring to fraud criminals here I'm talking about murderers and rapists

I am strongly against the idea of removing prisoners (including murderers and rapists) from the workforce. We should let them work inside prisons, give them training if they need. They earn income and buy any kind of entertainment they wish.

Letting them sit idly and giving them luxurious treatment is wrong. But, I don't see much wrong with letting them have a luxurious life inside prisons as far they can afford it.

rootX said:
I am strongly against the idea of removing prisoners (including murderers and rapists) from the workforce. We should let them work inside prisons, give them training if they need. They earn income and buy any kind of entertainment they wish.

Letting them sit idly and giving them luxurious treatment is wrong. But, I don't see much wrong with letting them have a luxurious life inside prisons as far they can afford it.
This is a great idea. I would much rather my job were taken from me by an illegal American than an illegal alien.

Jimmy Snyder said:
This is a great idea. I would much rather my job were taken from me by an illegal American than an illegal alien.

we already have the prison plantations. only they don't so much get the luxury life. this is made possible by slavery as punishment for crime being written into the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution. slavery never went away, we just have to catch you with crack, first.

tashalustig said:
Rose west in in Broadmoor where we put those who are deemed to be too dangerous to ever be released and are mainly the psychopaths and sociopaths
I don't mean to nit pick but both of those things are medical disorders. People diagnosed with them require medical attention, the majority of the time in a secure facility. It's not the same as someone of a healthy condition who chooses to perform a malicious act.

Well its debatable there pretty much no treatment over here for that apart from locking them up, and many would say that rapists have a disorder however many also believe that there is no such disorder just a want to cause pain and suffering and control.

All meant was the uk in its efforts to try and seem respectful of everyones rights go too far at times and prison is not always as hard here as it seems. We so not have first and second degree murder so life terms don't actually mean life many get out after 8 years

I've posted links before, here in the US, prison inmates can and do work for private companies and they earn wages.

The companies build workshops inside the prisons and *hire* inmates. A lot of clothing that you see "made in USA" labels on are "made in prisons".

Evo said:
I've posted links before, here in the US, prison inmates can and do work for private companies and they earn wages.

The companies build workshops inside the prisons and *hire* inmates. A lot of clothing that you see "made in USA" labels on are "made in prisons".
Thanks!

I found two links,

http://motherjones.com/politics/2008/07/what-do-prisoners-make-victorias-secret

http://oce.oregon.gov/products/112

Quite interesting, I never came across these links before. I had been aware of training prisoners but wasn't aware that they can earn wages.

Last edited by a moderator:
tashalustig said:
Rose west in in Broadmoor where we put those who are deemed to be too dangerous to ever be released and are mainly the psychopaths and sociopaths, however a lot of funding goes their way and for good behaviour they get a lot of perks.

To be pedantic, Broadmoor is not a prison, it is a high security psychiatric hospital. Some of the patients are not legally guilty of any crime, since they were assessed as mentallly unfit to plead and stand trial.

rootX said:
Unless someone was convicted for breaching internet related laws, I don't see why they shouldn't have "unfettered access" to the internet.

Absolutely. I mean, you wouldn't want to stop them talking to their fellow criminals outside, would you? It stands to reason that when they get released they need to integrate back into their own society as quickly as possible. [/IRONY]

AlephZero said:
Absolutely. I mean, you wouldn't want to stop them talking to their fellow criminals outside, would you? It stands to reason that when they get released they need to integrate back into their own society as quickly as possible. [/IRONY]

But the conversations can be easily tracked ... if they are so eager to have some personal conversations with outside criminals doesn't police job gets lot easier?

rootX said:
But the conversations can be easily tracked

One of the problems with prisons is that they turn into "crime universities". Criminals have a lot of incentive to learn how to use systems like TOR to cover their e-tracks. It only needs one tech-savvy inmate to spread the word around.

Not to mention the basic cost of monitoring the web usage of thousands of people 24/7, regardless of the security level.

AlephZero said:
One of the problems with prisons is that they turn into "crime universities". Criminals have a lot of incentive to learn how to use systems like TOR to cover their e-tracks. It only needs one tech-savvy inmate to spread the word around.

Not to mention the basic cost of monitoring the web usage of thousands of people 24/7, regardless of the security level.
Can't they use metal detectors to find the phones?

AlephZero said:

It is my understanding that TOR only works if you have your own personal computer not to be inspected by anyone e.g. I don't think I can install TOR at my work and get away with it without getting noticed.I don't see much advantage/disadvantage in providing internet access to inmates. Advantage is it's easier to find contacts/network of ones who are thinking of getting into troubles. Disadvantage is they harass outsiders and there aren't laws to deal online harassments as noted in the article.

Last edited:
Jimmy Snyder said:
This is a great idea.

I don't. "Letting them sit idly and giving them luxurious treatment is wrong. But, I don't see much wrong with letting them have a luxurious life inside prisons as far they can afford it."

Yes, giving them luxurious treatment is wrong. Allowing them to earn luxurious anything as they're serving out their time is equally wrong, as there's no punishment in a 6-figure prison salary.

I support allowing them to work for privileges, such as additional time in the exercise yard or library. Beyond that, fuhghettabout it. It's PRISON, not some school for debutants.

zoobyshoe said:
They don't. The article says their cell phones are smuggled in and confiscated when found.
Prisoners do have access to the internet, via computers, in at least some prisons. Then there's cell phones, and relayed messages, etc.

Evo said:
Can't they use metal detectors to find the phones?
What if it's the prison guards who are bringing lots of the phones in? One of the primary reasons for becoming a prison guard ('correctional officer') is the opportunities for 'under the table' income that it offers.

Anyway, do you think that the people who run the prisons are oblivious to the corruption that exists within them? Or, is it more likely that they're a part of it?

DoggerDan said:
This is interesting: http://news.yahoo.com/inmates-harass-victims-via-facebook-081733468.html

All don't, but an unacceptable percentage do.

I found this quote interesting (from the link you provided):
news.yahoo.com said:
"The ability to have these kinds of contacts is increasing exponentially. In many ways, the law has not caught up with these changing technologies," said Rob Bovett, an Oregon district attorney whose office prosecuted Gesik's ex-husband, Michael Gladney.
This seems a bit disingenuous to me. The 'law' has access to much more sophisticated technology than the prisoners do. Any and all of this sort of unacceptable behavior could be easily prevented, by relatively unsophisticated and nontechnological means. So, why isn't it?

Convicted felons don't need to have access to the internet. Or to books or television or any other sort of technological entertainment. They're, ostensibly anyway, in prison to be punished for their crimes. More precisely, prison is a vehicle for keeping certain people out of, and out of contact with, the general society for a specified period of time. Considering the recidivism rates prison can't change people's attitudes. It can't make bad people good. It can't significantly alter behavioral tendencies. Most people that are sent to prison once, are, eventually, sent to prison again. What should this be telling us?

Last edited:
tashalustig said:
Well its debatable there pretty much no treatment over here for that apart from locking them up, and many would say that rapists have a disorder however many also believe that there is no such disorder just a want to cause pain and suffering and control.
There are treatments being worked on but you're right, once someone with sociopathy or psychopathy commits a crime the only recourse is to lock them in a secure hospital. Regarding the rest of your statement there is no medical evidence that rape is caused by a mental disorder (sometimes it is committed by people with disorders but rape in general isn't).
tashalustig said:
All meant was the uk in its efforts to try and seem respectful of everyones rights go too far at times and prison is not always as hard here as it seems. We so not have first and second degree murder so life terms don't actually mean life many get out after 8 years
Life does mean life, but it doesn't mean you are not eligible for parole.

ThomasT said:
Most people that are sent to prison once, are, eventually, sent
to prison again. What should this be telling us?

Possibly, that life was much simpler when you could hang people for stealing a loaf of bread, or send them off to Australia if they did something where hanging wasn't a bad enough punishment :smile:

1. What is "Prisoners Taunting Victims via Facebook"?

"Prisoners Taunting Victims via Facebook" refers to the act of inmates in prisons using social media platforms, specifically Facebook, to harass, intimidate, or threaten their victims or their loved ones.

2. How common is this phenomenon?

Although there is limited data on this specific issue, it is believed to be a growing problem as more and more inmates have access to cell phones and social media in prisons.

3. Why do prisoners use Facebook to taunt their victims?

Prisoners may use Facebook to taunt their victims as a form of retaliation, to maintain control or power over their victims, or to continue their criminal behavior from behind bars.

4. Is it illegal for prisoners to use Facebook?

Yes, it is illegal for prisoners to have access to cell phones and social media while incarcerated. In most cases, it is considered a violation of prison rules and may result in disciplinary action.

5. What can be done to prevent prisoners from taunting their victims via Facebook?

Prison officials can implement stricter measures to prevent inmates from accessing cell phones and social media. Additionally, victims and their loved ones can take precautions such as blocking the inmate's account and reporting any harassment to the authorities.