1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probabilistic interpretation of wave function

1. Oct 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a particle moving in one dimension between rigid walls separated by a distance L has the wave function [tex]\Psi[/tex](x)=Asin([tex]\Pi[/tex]x/L), since the particle must remain between the walls, what must be the value of A?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I'm thinking that since the particle has to be between x=0 and x=1, i should set the probability function = to one for these limits on the integral. i'm really confused on how to do that though
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2008 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What must the following integral be equal to according to the probability interpretation of the wave function?

[tex]\int_0^L\Psi^*\Psi dx=?[/tex]
  4. Oct 26, 2008 #3
    1? to get psi* what do i do?

5. Oct 27, 2008 #4
    The star means complex conjugate: replaces all [itex]i[/itex]s with [itex]-i[/itex]s. In your case, [itex]\psi^* = A^* sin(\pi x / L)[/itex], but you can take[itex]A[/itex] to be real, making [itex]\psi = \psi^*[/itex].
  6. Oct 27, 2008 #5
    okay, thanks a lot
  7. Oct 27, 2008 #6

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that integral is equal to 1. You now, need to evaluate that and figure out what A must be for that expression to be true.

(I have been busy today and I see I'm a little late to respond. I hope you were able to figure it out.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?