Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability immigrants Question

1. Feb 14, 2012 #1
    In 2007, 52% of all immigrants to Canada were females, 25% were under 18
    years old, and 12% were females under 18 years old.

a. Find the probability that a randomly selected person who immigrated to Canada in
    2007 was a female and over 18 years old.

b. Find the probability that a randomly selected person who immigrated to Canada in
    2007 was either a female or under 18 years old.

c. Find the probability that a randomly selected person who immigrated to Canada in
    2007 was a male and over 18 years old.

d. Are sex and age independent events? Why? (Need a statistical reasoning.)

e. Are sex and age disjoint events? Why? (Need a statistical reasoning.)

I just don't understand the nature of this question, if someone could explain It would be very helpful. So far, I think this is what the questions should look like.
    A) 52 + 12 = 64% or (.52 x .12 ) x 100 = 6.24%
    B) 52% were females, 25% were under 18 years old so, (.52 x .25) x 100 = 13%
    C) 100 - 52 = 48 % was male and the over 18 years old is where i got confused because of the nature of the question.
    E) Tryed, but didn't understand.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2012 #2
    anyone here?

4. Feb 14, 2012 #3

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey geforce and welcome to the forums.

We can't actually just give you answers, but people here are more than willing to give you hints to help you get the answers, but you have to show any working and any ideas that you have about solving the problem. Also if you have tried things that don't work it would helpful to include these as well.

I'll start you off with a hint. Consider first translating your facts to mathematical statements: for example P(A and B) is the event that A and B both happen.

So for your question if A is the event of being female in Canada, B is the event that the person is female is under 25 and C is the event that the female is under 18, then you get statements about probability for A, B and C.

So to start you off: P(A) = 0.52 and P(A and B) = 0.25. You may want to define the events slightly differently if need be, but hopefully this should get you started.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook