Probability of 5 Spin 1/2 Particles in No Magnetic Field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
moknight
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Consider an ideal system of 5 non-interacting spin 1/2 particles in the absence of an external magnetic field. What is the probability that n of the five spins have spin up for each of the cases n = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5?


Homework Equations


I'm guessing [itex]\frac{N!}{n!(N-n)!}[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution



I've done total number of arrangements Ω = [itex]\frac{N!}{n!(N-n)!}[/itex]

done this for each case, n=0,1,2 etc.

Then p = [itex]\frac{1}{Ω}[/itex] for the corresponding Ω to get the probability.

This is a guess and I'm not really sure if I'm going the right way.

I'm getting probability-like values, such as p=0.2 for cases n=1 and n=4.

p=0.1 for cases n=2, n=3.

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
moknight said:

Homework Statement


Consider an ideal system of 5 non-interacting spin 1/2 particles in the absence of an external magnetic field. What is the probability that n of the five spins have spin up for each of the cases n = 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5?


Homework Equations


I'm guessing [itex]\frac{N!}{n!(N-n)!}[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution



I've done total number of arrangements Ω = [itex]\frac{N!}{n!(N-n)!}[/itex]
This isn't the total number of arrangements. You have 5 particles, each of which can be in one of two state. How many arrangements can you make? This is just like asking how many outcomes you can get from flipping 5 coins.

You also need to figure out what ##\Omega## represents if it's not the total number of arrangements.

You may want to read about the binomial distribution again.
done this for each case, n=0,1,2 etc.

Then p = [itex]\frac{1}{Ω}[/itex] for the corresponding Ω to get the probability.

This is a guess and I'm not really sure if I'm going the right way.

I'm getting probability-like values, such as p=0.2 for cases n=1 and n=4.

p=0.1 for cases n=2, n=3.

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks.