Probability of finding a state

In summary, according to Born's rule, the probability of finding |a> in a system prepared in |b> is given by the modulus squared of <a/b>. This means that in the case of (1/2 + i/2) |a> = |b>, the probability of finding |a> is 1/2. However, it is important to note that this rule assumes that |a> and |b> are normalized, with norms equal to 1. To convert amplitudes to probabilities, one can either take the modulus and square it or multiply the amplitude by its complex conjugate. This can be seen in the examples provided, where the probability for an amplitude of (1/2 + i
quietrain
according to born's rule, |<a/b>|2=probability

so in the case of (1/2 + i/2) |a> = |b>,

the probability of finding |a> in system prepared in |b> = |<a/b>|2

so i should modulus the (1/2 + i/2) first and then square it right?

so i get 1/2 + 1/2 = 1, squaring gives 1 again, but my lecturer gives the answer as 1/2...

did i do anything wrong here? thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
also, another probability of e[tex]\pi[/tex]i/8 / 2 gives a probability of 1/4. why?

if i square it and mod i get e[tex]\pi[/tex]i/4 /4 which doesn't give me 1/4.

is my concept wrong ?

The Born's rule in the form you have quoted it assumes that |a> and |b> are normalized - their norms should be 1. In general, for unnormalized states, it should read as

[tex]\frac{|\langle a,b\rangle|^2}{\langle a,a\rangle\,\langle b,b\rangle}[/tex]

I think you are not converting amplitudes to probabilities correctly. An amplitude of (1/2 + i/2) becomes a probability as follows: take the modulus, which is sqrt((1/2)^2 + (1/2)^2) = sqrt(1/2). Square to get 1/2. Alternatively, you can accomplish the same thing by multiplying the amplitude by its complex conjugate: (1/2 + i/2)(1/2 - i/2) = 1/2. (Ex: show these methods are equivalent)

If you have an amplitude of (1/2)exp(i*pi/8), take the modulus to get 1/2 and square that to get 1/4. Alternatively, do the other method: (1/2)exp(i*pi/8) * (1/2)exp(-i*pi/8) = (1/2)^2 = 1/4.

ic thanks everyone!

What is the definition of "probability of finding a state"?

The probability of finding a state refers to the likelihood of a particular outcome or event occurring within a given system or set of conditions. It is a measure of the chances of a specific state being observed or obtained.

How is the probability of finding a state calculated?

The probability of finding a state is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical definition of probability and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely.

What factors influence the probability of finding a state?

The probability of finding a state can be influenced by a variety of factors, such as the number of possible outcomes, the conditions or constraints of the system, and any prior knowledge or information about the system. It can also be affected by random events or chance occurrences.

How is probability of finding a state different from probability of an event?

The probability of finding a state refers specifically to the likelihood of a particular state being observed or obtained within a system, while the probability of an event refers to the chances of a specific event occurring. In other words, the probability of finding a state is a subset of the probability of an event.

Why is understanding probability of finding a state important in science?

Understanding and calculating the probability of finding a state is essential in science as it allows researchers to make predictions and draw conclusions based on data. It also helps in making informed decisions and evaluating the reliability and validity of scientific experiments and findings.