Derive the probability of spin at arbitrary angle is cos( )

In summary, the conversation involves a discussion on quantum entanglement and the calculation of the probability that a given particle will have a spin up along an arbitrary direction. The speaker sets up the necessary matrices and eigenvectors, and the final answer is given as 1/2(1-cos(theta)). The person asking the question has attempted the calculation and arrived at the result of 1/2(1+cos(theta)), but is unsure if they are close to the correct answer. The expert summarizes the conversation and points out that the two results are not equal, indicating that there may have been a mistake in the calculation.
Sparky_
TL;DR Summary
From Dr. Leonard Susskind's Stanford Lecture: Quantum Entanglement, Lecture 4, he sets up a "given particle is spin up along n (arbitrary direction) and discusses : what is probability we measure up along another arbitrary m direction
From Dr. Leonard Susskind's Stanford Lecture: Quantum Entanglement, Lecture 4, he sets up a "given particle is spin up along n (arbitrary direction) and discusses : what is probability we measure up along another arbitrary m directionHe does all of the setup, - calculates the eigenvectors and gives the final answer: ##\frac{1}{2}(1-\cos(\theta))##

Months and months ago I took a stab at the work and gave up - got really messy
Few days ago I thought (for fun) I would tackle it again, jumping to the end I ended up with:
$$\frac{1}{2}((1+\cos(\theta) ) (1 - m_3^2 -n_3^2 + (m_3n_3)^2)$$
$$= \frac{1}{2} (1+\cos(\theta))(m_3^2-1)(n_3^2-1)$$

The work is many pages of algebra with m's and n's, fortunately a lot canceled and then others grouped to simplify
My current result seems clean but has the terms ##(m_3^2-1)(n_3^2-1)## (with##1-\cos(\theta)## factored out
I'm hoping you tell me there is a step to cancel or something

The initial matrices before the turn-the-crank work is:

$$\begin{pmatrix}\sqrt{ \frac{1+m_3} {2} } && \frac{1-m_3}{m+}\sqrt{\frac{1+m_3}{2}} \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}\sqrt{\frac{1+n_3}{2}} \\ \frac{1-n_3}{n-}\sqrt{\frac{1+n_3}{2}}\end{pmatrix}$$Thanks

Sparky_

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The component of the spin in direction of the unit vector ##\vec{n}## is given by
$$\hat{s}_{\vec{n}}=\frac{\hbar}{2} \vec{n} \cdot \vec{\sigma},$$
where ##\vec{\sigma}## denote the three Pauli matrices.

Without loss of generality in your above description you can choose ##\vec{n}=\vec{e}_3##. Then with the standard definition of the Pauli matrices the state your spin is prepared in is represented by the vector ##(1,0)##.

Now find the eigenvector of ##\vec{m} \cdot \vec{\sigma}## with the eigenvalue ##1##. The probability that ##\sigma_{\vec{m}}## takes the value ##+\hbar/2## is then given by the squared modulus of the 1st component of this eigenvector (think about, why?).

Last edited:
here is the link to the lecture. He (Dr. Susskind) sets up the QM eigenvectors. I am just trying to do the brute force calculation to get ##\frac{1}{2} 1+\cos(\theta))## . He says that this result can come out of "just" the algebra

(You see I must be close) Unfortunately I am 10+ pages of algebra and did have several careless mistakes along the way
here is the link - go to around 32:00 minutes

Last edited:
Ok, Let's do the calculation. We just take
$$\vec{m}=\begin{pmatrix}\sin \vartheta \\ 0 \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}.$$
The matrix we have to diagonalize is
$$\vec{m} \cdot \vec{\sigma}=\begin{pmatrix} \cos \vartheta & \sin \vartheta \\ \sin \vartheta &-\cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}.$$
To get the eigenvalues we need the characteristic polynomial
$$\mathrm{det} (\vec{m} \cdot \vec{\sigma}-\lambda \hat{1}) = (\cos \vartheta-\lambda)(-\cos \vartheta-\lambda)-\sin^2 \vartheta=\lambda^2-1,$$
i.e., we get the two eigenvalues
$$\lambda_1=+1, \quad \lambda_2=-1.$$
This means the spin component ##s_{\vec{m}}## can take the values ##\hbar/2## and ##-\hbar/2##.

For the eigenvector to the eigenvalue +1 we must have
$$\vec{m} \cdot \vec{\sigma} \begin{pmatrix} a\\ b \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}\cos \vartheta a + \sin \vartheta b \\ \sin \vartheta a -\cos \vartheta b\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} a\\ b \end{pmatrix}.$$
From the first component we get
$$b=\frac{1-\cos \vartheta}{\sin \vartheta}a.$$
Setting ##a=N \sin \vartheta## we get the eigenvector
$$|m_{\vec{m}}=+\hbar/2 \rangle=N \begin{pmatrix}\sin \vartheta \\ 1-\cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}.$$
The normalization facto must be chosen such that this vector has norm 1,
$$|N|^2 [(1-\cos \vartheta)^2 + \sin \vartheta^2]=|N|^2 2(1-\cos \vartheta) =1.$$
Up to an irrelevant phase factor thus
$$N=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2(1-\cos \vartheta)}}.$$
So we get
$$ |m_{\vec{m}}=+\hbar/2 \rangle=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2(1-\cos \vartheta}} \begin{pmatrix} \sin \vartheta \\ 1-\cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}.$$
So the probability is
$$P=|\langle m_z=\hbar/2|m_{\vec{m}}=\hbar/2 \rangle|^2=\frac{\sin^2 \vartheta}{2 (1-\cos \vartheta)}.$$
With the formulae
$$\sin \vartheta=2 \sin (\vartheta/2) \cos(\vartheta/2), \cos \vartheta=\cos^2(\vartheta/2)-\sin^2(\vartheta/2)=1-2 \sin^2 \vartheta \; \Rightarrow \; 1-\cos \vartheta=2\sin^2 (\vartheta/2)$$
you finally get
$$P=\cos^2(\vartheta/2)=\frac{1}{2}(1+\cos \vartheta).$$
That's not what you say, but of course for ##\vartheta=0## we must get ##P=1##. So this seems to be the correct answer.

Last edited:
I don't think we are on the same page, I am trying to see if I am close to the ##\frac{1}{2}(1-\cos(\theta))## result
I feel like I am close and don't want to give up again
From the lecture I did the inner product (squared) and worked through a lot of mess

My question is not on setting up the inner product of the eigenvectors, it is given Dr. Suskkind's inner product (squared) from lecture what remaining step do I need to finish / end up with ##\frac{1}{2}(1-\cos(\theta))##

Thanks

the approach I am chasing is with n = ##n_1 +\n_2 + n_3## and m = ##m_1 + m_2+m_3##
the angle between is ##\theta##
##n- = n_1 - i*n_2 and n+ = n_1 + i*n_2## likewise for m- and m+

$$\begin{pmatrix}\sqrt{ \frac{1+m_3} {2} } && \frac{1-m_3}{m+}\sqrt{\frac{1+m_3}{2}} \end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}\sqrt{\frac{1+n_3}{2}} \\ \frac{1-n_3}{n-}\sqrt{\frac{1+n_3}{2}}\end{pmatrix}$$

squaring and matrix multiplication:

$$\sqrt{\frac{1+m_3+n_3+m_3n_3}{4}}(\frac{m_+n_- + 1 - m_3 - n_3 + m_3n_3}{m_+n_-}) x \sqrt{\frac{1+m_3+n_3+m_3n_3}{4}}(\frac{m_-n_+ + 1 - m_3 - n_3 + m_3n_3}{m_-n_+})$$

dot dot dot... lots of m's and n's and errors and going backwards to find where I got off ... i get

$$\frac{1}{4}(2+2m_1n1 + 2m_2n_2 + 2m33n_3 - 2m_3^2 -2n_3^2 + 2(m_3n_3)^2 -2m_3^2(m_3n_3)-2n_3^2(m_3n_3) + 2(m_3n_3)^3 - 2(m_1n_1m_3^2 - 2m_1n_1n_3^2 + 2m_1n_1(m_3n_3)^2-2m_2n_2m_3^2 -2m_2n_2n_3^2 + 2m_2n_2(m_3n_3)^2)$$

$$\frac{1}{2}( 1+\cos(\theta) -m_3^2 ( 1+\cos(\theta)) -n_3^2 ( 1+\cos(\theta) )+(m_3n_3)^2( 1+\cos(\theta)))$$

where I am hoping I am a step or so away (or I am there and just don't see it) to the result:
$$\frac{1}{2}(1+\cos(\theta))$$

• Wow
Likes PeroK
Sparky_ said:
$$\frac{1}{2}( 1+\cos(\theta) -m_3^2 ( 1+\cos(\theta)) -n_3^2 ( 1+\cos(\theta) )+(m_3n_3)^2( 1+\cos(\theta)))$$where I am hoping I am a step or so away (or I am there and just don't see it) to the result:
$$\frac{1}{2}(1+\cos(\theta))$$
If those two are equal, then ##m_3^2n_3^2 - m_3^2 - n_3^2 = 0##, which can't be true for all choices of ##m_3## and ##n_3##. So, you must have made a mistake.

1. What is the concept of spin in physics?

In physics, spin is a fundamental property of particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. It is a quantum mechanical property that can take on discrete values, such as 1/2, 1, 3/2, etc.

2. What is the significance of the angle in the probability of spin at arbitrary angle?

The angle in the probability of spin at arbitrary angle represents the orientation of the particle's spin relative to a reference direction. It determines the probability of finding the particle in a particular spin state when measured along that direction.

3. How is the probability of spin at arbitrary angle derived?

The probability of spin at arbitrary angle is derived using the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics. It involves calculating the probability amplitude of the particle being in a particular spin state at a given angle, and then taking the square of this amplitude to get the probability.

4. What is the formula for the probability of spin at arbitrary angle?

The formula for the probability of spin at arbitrary angle is P(θ) = |cos(θ/2)|^2, where θ is the angle between the reference direction and the direction of measurement. This formula is derived from the quantum mechanical equations for spin states.

5. Can the probability of spin at arbitrary angle be greater than 1?

No, the probability of spin at arbitrary angle cannot be greater than 1. This is because the probability amplitude, which is squared to get the probability, is a complex number with a magnitude less than or equal to 1. Therefore, the probability itself will always be between 0 and 1, inclusive.