Probability of Time-Overlap between two Transceivers

In summary, the conversation is discussing a scenario where two transceivers broadcast SEND requests at specific time increments, but they may not always be able to communicate with each other. The question is whether there is a mathematical model to calculate the relationship between the cycle lengths of the two transceivers to ensure they coincide at some point. After some calculations, the speaker concludes that the relationship is simply the multiplication of the two time increments. However, someone else points out that this may not always result in the transceivers being awake together.
Meshy
Ok, so I had this thought for low power transistors to only broadcast certain data at specific time increments. I cannot figure out how to answer this for the heck of me.

Two transceivers, and they only broadcast SEND requests when they have data to send.

Transceiver A) Broadcasts every 8 seconds for 2 seconds. If it doesn't get a SEND request from another transceiver in those 2 seconds it goes back to sleep.

Transceiver B) Broadcasts every 8 seconds for 2 seconds. If it doesn't get a SEND request from another transceiver in those 2 seconds it goes back to sleep.

Transceiver X) Broadcasts every X seconds for Y seconds. If it doesn't get a SEND request from another transceiver in those Y seconds it goes back to sleep. ::

If they were started a random times, let's say 6 second differential or w/e, just as long as they weren't started at the same time, how long till I', guaranteed one finds the other? Is there a mathematical model to calculate this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Clearly A and B are not guaranteed ever to get in touch.
For simplicity, to start with, I would assume each broadcasts/listens for a time period of 1, and take the cycle lengths to be whole multiples of that. What then would be the relationship between two cycle lengths to ensure they coincide sometime?

Now that I think of it, if they were both 8 seconds they aren't guaranteed to ever communicate. But at 6 seconds, they should. Lemme give it another shot:-, * = 2 sec increments

----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*----*
---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*---*

Looks like every 40 secs in that specific scenario.

Set - or * to t. x1 = 5, x2 = 4.

f(x,y,t)=>

f(5,4,2)=40;
f(5,4,1)=20;

f(x,y,t)=x*y*t

So X*Y*T it is I guess.

Lemme try, (2,3,1):

2X3X1 = 6

Yup that's six increments. Wow. Figured it out myself :)

So I just realized it's just the multiplication of the 2 time increments. Obviously had too much on my mind today. lol. SOLVED.

I'm glad you're happy, but if that's the answer then I clearly did not understand the question in the first place.
If A sends for 2 seconds starting at time 6t, and B does 2 seconds starting at time 6t+3, t=0, 1, ..., they will never be awake together. Likewise with 1 second at 10t, 15t+2. What have I misunderstood?

What is the "Probability of Time-Overlap between two Transceivers"?

The Probability of Time-Overlap between two Transceivers is a measure of the likelihood that two transceivers will have overlapping transmission times. This is important in communication systems to ensure that multiple transmissions do not interfere with each other.

How is the Probability of Time-Overlap calculated?

The Probability of Time-Overlap is calculated by dividing the duration of time that the two transceivers are transmitting simultaneously by the total duration of time. This gives a percentage that represents the likelihood of an overlap occurring.

What factors can affect the Probability of Time-Overlap between two Transceivers?

The Probability of Time-Overlap can be affected by various factors such as the transmission frequency, the distance between the two transceivers, and any interference from other electronic devices. It can also be influenced by the design and capabilities of the transceivers themselves.

Why is it important to consider the Probability of Time-Overlap in communication systems?

In communication systems, it is important to consider the Probability of Time-Overlap to ensure that multiple transmissions do not interfere with each other. This can lead to lost or corrupted data, and can significantly impact the overall performance and reliability of the communication system.

How can the Probability of Time-Overlap be minimized?

The Probability of Time-Overlap can be minimized by using advanced transceiver designs that have better interference rejection capabilities, carefully selecting transmission frequencies, and implementing protocols for managing simultaneous transmissions. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the communication system can also help identify and address any issues that may lead to a higher Probability of Time-Overlap.